Borderlands 3 isn't in development at Gearbox

Scorpus

Staff member

Fans of Gearbox Software's critically-acclaimed Borderlands series may be disappointed to hear that the studio isn't currently working on Borderlands 3. Speaking to Polygon, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said that "we have more to do in the franchise, but no there isn't a Borderlands 3."

Pitchford went on to say that if Borderlands 3 were to be made, that it should "carry the story forward" in a game that would be bigger and better than Borderlands 2. "We know we want it and we know it should exist, but we don't know what it is yet [...] but we are doing things in Borderlands that we'll announce soon, that are good, and that I think people will be really excited about."

In the meantime, the Borderlands franchise will expand through Tales of the Borderlands, a game being developed by Telltale, who also produced The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. When Telltale approached Gearbox about the game, Pitchford "couldn't say yes fast enough." Gearbox is also working alongside Iron Galaxy Studios to port Borderlands 2 to the PlayStation Vita.

While Gearbox may not be working on Borderlands 3, the studio is keeping itself very busy. High-definition remasters of Homeworld and Homeworld 2, both real-time strategy games, will be released in 2014 with graphical fidelity exceeding 4K, and a new title, Homeworld: Shipbreakers is being worked on. Furious Four is also in development, as an over-the-top take on World War II games, plus a new game in the Brothers in Arms series.

Most excitingly, the studio is developing two games based on entirely new IP, both of which are unannounced, and both of which will naturally be for 'next-gen' platforms. Pitchford didn't reveal anything about these new titles, but we can look forward to them in the coming years.

Permalink to story.

That is disappointing - I wonder if they're just taking a break to rest a bit.

A new Homeworld title. Now that's interesting. I hope it's closer to Homeworld rather than Homeworld 2. I still play Homeworld but I never finished HW 2.

They gave u on HW2 because they knew they were getting the Warhmmer franchise.. haven't bought another relic game since the HW2 crap..

A new Homeworld title. Now that's interesting. I hope it's closer to Homeworld rather than Homeworld 2. I still play Homeworld but I never finished HW 2.

Borderlands is such a fundamentally flawed game. I played the game for a while, then shut it off and uninstalled it. It's a game that seems like if there was a few tweaks it could be pretty good. For example, take away all the button pressing required to loot. Jesus that was annoying. After that, fix the goddam menu system and make it easier to understand the differences between guns, how to upgrade them, etc.

Borderlands is just a few marbles short of being a decent game. Hopefully they take their time getting around to making part three. Hopefully they take that time to iron out all the stupid crap from the game.

BL2 is an amazing game, I play with friends from time to time and we get a big laugh at it, the story is top notch.

Hope the Homeworld redesign comes fast! Another great game.

Man Borderlands 2 was great. It saddens me to think that it will be at least another 3ish years before I get to play another :(

Back