Bose drags Beats to court over patent infringement as Apple sale nears completion

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Bose is suing Beats over alleged infringement of its noise cancellation patents. Last Friday, the Framingham, Massachusetts-based company filed a lawsuit in a federal court in Delaware, alleging that Beats' Studio and Studio Wireless headphones use technology that infringes five of its patents.

Prior to the lawsuit, the company also filed a similar complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission over the issue. The lawsuit is likely to be put on hold while the ITC case is pending.

According to Bose, it started working on its noise-cancelling technology almost four decades ago and began selling its QuietComfort headphones in 2000. The company is now seeking to prevent Beats’ noise-cancelation headphones from being imported into the United States from China.

"Because Bose invests heavily in research and development, and because Bose has built its reputation on producing superior products through innovative technology, Bose's continued success depends in substantial part on its ability to establish, maintain, and protect its proprietary technology through enforcement of its patent rights," the company said.

Beats declined to comment. Founded in 2006 by Dr. Dre, co-founder of the seminal hip-hop group N.W.A., and music producer Jimmy Iovine, Beats Electronics captured 64% of the $100-and-up headphone market in 2012.

Back in May, Apple announced that it would acquire Beats Electronics and Beats Music, the streaming music service that launched in January, for US $3 billion, making it the largest acquisition in the iPhone-maker's history. The deal is expected to close in the current quarter.

Earlier this month, Beats sued unnamed Chinese businesses and individuals, claiming that they sold counterfeit Beats products over the Internet. The company termed it a “worldwide anti-counterfeiting program” that regularly scans websites and marketplaces for suspicious products.

Permalink to story.

Seems like bose is just butthurt they didnt license there "technology" to beats and are now looking like they are trying to troll their way to riches... seriously now is noise cancellation like that big that only bose has invented the ONLY noice cancellation "technology" around... whats that like a $100billion+ market?

Not a problem, all Beats will do is ask Big Daddy Apple to bail them out then countersue. Doesn't Bose realise who they messing with?

Both companies are overrated and make slightly above average consumer audio products. However companies like Grado and Sennheiser offer similar priced products with much better audiophile technology and just better overall quality. I cringe when a friend tells me how much money they spent on a Bose, Beats, or even Turtle Beach product, when for the same money they could have gotten so much more.

Finally a lawsuit that I can believe. I've heard of Bose noise canceling through TV commercials years and years ago. I do think that they were the first in the industry to have this feature. They were in the headphones marketed to the wealthy jetset types. I assume that Beats has made something similar, but I'll let the courts determine how close they are in function.

Suing others only when it suits you most is today's business model on the troll market.
Selling an product pandering to a specific ethic market, (which is mostly what "Beats" is all about), is even lower in my appraisal of "business model" / "ripoff". This "Beats" garbage is the Michael Jordan $100.00 pair of sneakers of the audio market. People buy "Beats", for the same reason they buy suits by Sean Combs". (Or is that "Puff Daddy)?

Have these fools even been around to do much in the way of R&D? I mean really, this stuff hit the market in a pretty big rush, with a lot of hoopla. All I see the same old sh!t, wrapped up in cheap, gaudy, overpriced, "costume jewelry".

This "equipment" is aimed at an ethnic market which Apple has failed to penetrate on its own. Apple can keep it's yuppies, and the "Beats" division gets to go for the rest.(n)

Last edited:
I have no issue with beats being sued, because Bose makes a real product and because beats are a terrible waste of money.

Guest said:
I have no issue with beats being sued, because Bose makes a real product and because beats are a terrible waste of money.
Beats and Bose both make mediocre products from cheap materials, using flashy marketing to command high prices. I can't bring myself to take *either* side here.

Beats and Bose both make mediocre products from cheap materials, using flashy marketing to command high prices. I can't bring myself to take *either* side here.
So does Apple, so does Bang & Olufsen, at least to the extent to equipment doesn't live up to the hype surrounding it.

Bose has been around for decades, "Beats" has been around since "Dr. Dre's" last obnoxious, racist, profane rant. I hope Bose sues their pants off...........and wins, big time

Back