1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Boston Dynamics' Atlas robot shows off upgraded agility skills in new video

By midian182 · 10 replies
Oct 12, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. In the company's new video, called “Parkour,” we see Atlas jogging and leaping over a log with ease. It then tackles a multi-level platform, bounding from one 40cm-high step to another as it practices chasing its fleshy prey.

It was only a few years ago when robots like Atlas could barely put one foot in front of another without falling flat on their face—or what would be their face if they had heads. But thanks to advancements in software and processing power, the robot can now use its legs, arms, and torso to drive its jumps and for balancing. Atlas can also shift its weight from one foot to another as a human would.

Atlas uses computer vision to locate its position in relation to objects, allowing it to approach and hit, or avoid, obstacles with accuracy.

Last year, Boston Dynamics released a video of Atlas, which is electrically powered and hydraulically actuated, hopping, jumping, and landing a backflip—very impressive for a 6-foot 9-inch, 167-pound humanoid robot.

Following a year of rumors that it was looking to unload the company, Google parent Alphabet sold Boston Dynamics to Softbank for an undisclosed sum in 2017. Its plans for the robots are unknown, but I, for one, am ready to welcome our future mechanical overlords.

Permalink to story.

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +1,323

Japan is going to end up ruling in the robotics industry... Heck, I bet Softbank upped Boston Dynamics budget.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,033   +2,427

The only thing I want to do with these creeps, is target practice, with a long-strike rifle.

wiyosaya likes this.
  4. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 1,504   +632

Now they just need to make some of these 15x bigger with a cockpit and controls, and be armed with giant Nerf cannons. Then franchise outdoor playgrounds so geeks can go play real life Mech Warrior.

I'd pay for that...

Panda218 likes this.
  5. Cisco Sanchez

Cisco Sanchez TS Rookie

But - can it ride a rental electric scooter ? ? the real test

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,201   +2,662

The solution to the autonomous vehicle .... add one of these as a chauffeur! And best of all .... no tipping! (I'd still carry a quart of oil, just in case)

7. toooooot

toooooot TS Maniac Posts: 235   +104

That's is the most amazing robot movement I have ever seen.

8. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 2,919   +1,429

Personally, I would prefer to ensure the device's end with a fire and forget shoulder-launched missile. :blush:

VitalyT likes this.
  9. Reachable

Reachable TS Maniac Posts: 272   +126

This is astonishing. It even moves its arms in sync. In a couple of years it could be a running back for the Patriots.

10. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 2,255   +772

The solution to automous vehicles are... autonomous vehicles?! Amazing! lol
    But autonomous cars are already robots without the body.

11. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 2,919   +1,429