Bragi's Dash Pro wireless headset has fitness tracking, language translation and more

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Bragi just launched its newest set of Bluetooth headphones the Dash Pro. The headphones are fully wireless just like Apple’s AirPods, but they do not make you look like an android. The buds fit right in your ear and come with seven tips to get the fit just right, four silicone “FitSleeves,” and three foam tips. There is even a Starkey Signature version that can be custom fitted to your ear.

The headphone can last for up to five hours on a charge, and the Dash carrying case will recharge the buds up to five times without plugging in, just like the AirPods. The headphones can even sense when you are using them and turn themselves on and off.

However, that is about all the Dash Pro has in common with AirPods. Bragi’s headset is packed with other features that you cannot find in any single set of wireless headphones.

To start with, the Dash Pro has an onboard computer with an independent operating system, which just updated to version 3.0 for the launch. The Bragi OS (BOS3) is what drives all of the Dash Pro’s features. From the integrated music player to gesture controls, the headset’s computer offers a completely handsfree experience.

The Dash Pro has a built-in MP3 player with 4 GB of storage. So you do not even need to be connected to your phone to listen to music. The player is controlled with head gestures. Pivoting and nodding your head is all it takes to start, stop, and skip tracks.

The headphones feature “Audio Transparency” technology. Transparency allows the Dash Pro to let you listen to your music while still being aware of your surroundings such as your boss telling you to get back to work. Optionally, you can turn Transparency off, and the headphones will filter out the background noise so that you can enjoy your tunes and ignore your boss. When activated, Audio Transparency will also filter out wind noise when jogging or riding a bike, a problem suffered by many other headsets.

The Bragi OS has an AI assistant that speaks to you creating a gesture-controlled "Virtual 4D Menu” for the headset’s various functions. However, you can also activate your phone’s assistant by tapping your cheek, and when connected to your iPhone, Android, or Windows device, you have access to all of your phone’s functions.

With the help of the Bragi App, the earphones can track your workout just like an Apple Watch or other fitness trackers. The headset can tell when you are performing exercise activities and will automatically start monitoring when you begin. The fitness tracker is fully featured including heart and respiratory rates. The earpieces are also water resistant to three feet so can be used to track while swimming as well.

The Dash Pro is also integrated with iTranslate to provide real-time translation in 40 different languages. Translation is activated by tapping the lower part of the left earphone. Engadget's Rob LeFebvre got to try out the iTranslate feature in Mandarin but said the translation was not accurate. However, Rob did admit that he was speaking informally. He also noted that the translator struggled in noisy environments.

There are a couple of other downsides to the Bragi headphones as well. Last December, the Verge reported that the Dash (not the Dash Pro) had a hard time holding a stable Bluetooth connection. Bragi promised to fix this problem with firmware and OS updates. As of version 2.2 of the OS, the Bluetooth connectivity was vastly improved indoors, but outside it was still spotty. Hopefully, all Bluetooth issues have been fixed in the Dash Pro version and with the upgrade to BOS3.

The other drawback of Bragi headphones is the price. Even the original Dash runs $299. The Pro is $349 and $499 if you want the Starkey Signature custom-fitted version. Considering everything that the headset offers, the price is not that far off what many other high-end brands charge.

Right now the Dash Pro is only available at the Bragi website. However, you can pick up a set of the original Dash headphones at Amazon for $207.99.

Permalink to story.

They sound amazing but I couldn't not notice that out of 561 customer reviews, 33% is star and 16% 2 stars for the original one, that means that 49% of customers did not like the product at all while only 43% found it 4 stars or more.

This is too spotty for me. Again in paper sounds awesome but I wouldn't risk it, I'm fine with my $30 anker bluetooth headset.

They sound amazing but I couldn't not notice that out of 561 customer reviews, 33% is star and 16% 2 stars for the original one, that means that 49% of customers did not like the product at all while only 43% found it 4 stars or more.

This is too spotty for me. Again in paper sounds awesome but I wouldn't risk it, I'm fine with my $30 anker bluetooth headset.
Yeah, a lot of that is because the original Dash had problems with holding a steady Bluetooth connection. Bragi addressed those issues and got the connection stable (at least indoors) with BOS2.2. They might have fixed it for outdoor use as well with BOS3 and the Pro firmware, but I'd definitely wait for reviews on the Pro before dropping that kind of dough on a set.

I saw these on Doctor Who. Nice try Cybermen, I'm wise to your mechanical charms.

drwhoriseofthecymbermen2.jpg

There are a lot more folks rocking the Bragi Dash, I have had my pair since Black Friday, and I was amazed then. With the company continually "updating your wearable computer wireless headphones" I will say again "updating your wearable computer wireless headphones" how many others are doing that consistently. The sound was good then but two updates later the sound is better more bass and the stereo affects are WOW, I was home listen with the DASH and heard a voice in the song, it wounded like someone was over my left shoulder it was so present. I have updated to the BOS3 and it keeps getting better, I have the original and they can still be updated to the latest software. The 4D feature is killer works well, I may get the Pro version and pass these on to a brother or sister, and only reason is to get even more battery. This my friends is a GO!

My $30 anker bluetooth headphones sounds so good and works really well, so well that Anker doesn't need to update their firmware. Have you heard about equalizers? They can pump up the bass or treble all the way, you can even set it up so well that the music that you play sounds amazing.

Back