Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx

JJM

I have run the update to W10 and all went well until the end. The NetXtreme appeared to have lost its driver. As the system was now not on the internet there was nothing I could do. I rolled back to W7 as the only option and then I saw the driver automatically install itself in W7. How can I update to include the driver or is there a way I can download the driver first and then install in W10 when I get there?
My system is Dell Precision 490 64 Bit
Any assistance waould be greatly appreciated.

Yes many thanks. I did download what appeared to be the correct driver on a stick although there is really no way of knowing as there was a choice of many. When I tried to install it said something like:
"You are attempting to install a file of type system file" "These files are used by op sys and various programs. Editing and modifying them could damage your system" The relevent key was greyed out so I could not install it anywway.
Then I was offered "Windows cannot open this file" "Use the web to find correct program or select a program from a list. As I am not qualified in anything too technical I reverted to W7 and I watched as the exactly correct driver installed itself. If it was possible in W7 why could W10 not do the same I asked myself" ?

I have downloaded Broadcom Gigabit Integrated Controller 57XX on to a stick. Installed W10 sucessfully but still not connected to internet. I have inserted the stick and it comments:
"This Broadcom installer is invalid for the detected operating system" It refuses to install and hence I cannot get internet connection. I have tried Dell site but go around in circles trying to follow their explanation. Maybe my Dell Precision 490 is not compatible with W10 even though it was ok with W7? Has anybody installed W10 in the same machine succesfully?

Have you tried windows update. I notice quit a few computers I have install win 10 on. I was able to get the drivers they needed for win 10. By using windows updates.

If you know your correct model number of your adapter. This website may help you out.

Ethernet NIC NetXtreme® I Server | Broadcom

Last edited:
Have you tried windows update. I notice quit a few computers I have install win 10 on. I was able to get the drivers they needed for win 10. By using windows updates.

If you know your correct model number of your adapter. This website may help you out.

Ethernet NIC NetXtreme® I Server | Broadcom
Thank you I have now looked at that site and it has a 190 page user guide, which I do not propose reading, and various driver downloads. As far as I know I have the correct driver on a stick. The Dell Precision 490 will not accept this Broadcom Gigabit Integrated Controller 57XX.
When I have installed W10 I cannot get on the internet so I cannot use windoes updates. Has anyone successfully installed W10 on a Dell Precison 490. It seems I may have to stick with W7. Thanks for assistance.

According to the Dell product support page, your workstation does not support any Windows OS from Windows 7 on up. Maybe you got some things to work in Windows 7 but it's not supported.

OK thank you mailpup. Everything works perfectly with W7. I guess the machine must be too old to work in W10 given that it initially shipped with XP. Unfortunately however it is only the Broadcom that does not work in W10. Unless anyone has actually managed to install W10 in a Dell Precision 490 I will have to stick with W7.

Back