Browser Redirect Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Saturday, my mom's computer became infected by a Malcare Catcher virus. Being a good son and an IT professional, I came to the rescue and was able to remove the virus by using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program. All was well and good except that I get a call the next day that almost every time she tries to click on links (first noticed when using Google), it redirects her to some other site. I've been working on it off and on for three days and am completely stumped. I've tried both Internet Explorer and Firefox and both exhibit the same redirect problem.

I've gone through the 8-step Virus/Malware/Spyware Removal Instructions that are posted here and am attaching the logs from Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and HijackThis. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    8.9 KB · Views: 5
Hello tahras

Please attach the logfiles again, before you do, turn wordwrap OFF in notepad.

It´s impossible to read the log´s you have posted ;)

Take 2

Sorry about that. Here are the logs where they can actually be read.

I checked for a proxy server just now, but it doesn't show one in Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings, so I don't think that is the problem.

No problem :)

The log files looks clean, I´ll therefore suggest we dig deeper -

Please download Combofix:
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe
And save to the desktop.

Close all other browser windows.

Double-click on the combofix icon found on your desktop.

Please note, that once you start combofix you should not click anywhere on the combofix window as it can cause the program to stall. In fact, when combofix is running, do not touch your computer at all and just take a break as it may take a while for it to complete.

Combofix will create a logfile and display it after your computer has rebooted. Usually located in c:\combofix.txt, please attach it to your next post

It's been a few weeks since I've been at my parent's home to work on the problem. Here is the ComboFix log as requested. The redirect problem is still occurring after running ComboFix. I did notice that when ComboFix started running, it warned me that Avast Anti-Virus and Malware Catcher 2009 were both running and could conflict with ComboFix. The Malware Catcher is the original virus that I removed.

Not sure if this helps any or not, but when I click on links in Google, it redirects to a "mykeepplace.net" address which then leads to some random site. A few weeks back, I believe it was redirecting to "bitsearch.net" or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back