BSOD 0X0000007B How is this possible? and how do I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shemer

Well I got this error yesterday and I will try to explain it to you guys. So yesterday I was messing around with the computer when It started going very very slow. Nothing seemed unusual in the processes list so I did an avg 8 scan. Nothing was noticed by avg so I decided it was time for a reformat. So I got my windows xp boot disk that came with the comp. Turned off the computer and Started the cd. I deleted everything off of my 2 hard drives. Then I installed windows on my first hard drive. I set it to a normal ntfs format and it installs. after about half way the computer restarts and then it asks to put in computer name and the time and date and then continues installing. Then it does another reboot and as soon as it gets to windows sign it goes to the bsod. Took out the disk and tried that does not work, tried safe mode in all configs and that does not work either. Its stops at mup i think. What should I do? This computer is not brand new,, and I have reformatted it many times. WhAT WENT WRONG?

Sounds to be a fault with one of your HardDrives
By the way are they in Raid configuration, or is the second internal HardDrive just a Slave?

Start by removing the Slave HardDrive (if it's not in Raid config)

Also, have you tried Safe Mode, and then go into Event Viewer to see what error if any, are stated

And removing the Slave? (Now that it's safe to do)
By the way, when I say remove I mean unplug the data cord from the motherboard end

Actually I've thought about it a little more!!

The fault is to do with the HDD controller driver.

When you first setup Xp, you should have noticed a line that said, "Press F6 to install additional drivers" something like that.

Anyway, guess what? Your HardDrives (or one of them, if they're different) require a Dos driver.

The driver can be downloaded from the HardDrives support page
Or from your computer's manufacture support drivers page

Once downloaded, extract the zip file (they're usually zipped up) to a floppy disk (if you have a floppy drive)
Or burn the extracted HDD Dos driver to CD.

Then install Windows again (Again!)
But this time press F6 when prompted, and then put the driver disk in.

That is all :)

Ok, Ill try that later but how come it happened now. Ive reformatted tons of times and never had this problem?

Edit: I dont think that will work since I tried doing this.I removed one hdd and installed on the other and vice versa but still no dice.

I have looked all over the internet but can not find an hdd controller driver, also when i put in the windows cd and press f6 when the message shows up it does not do anything, it just ignores me.

also when i put in the windows cd and press f6 when the message shows up it does not do anything, it just ignores me.
Damn USB keyboard (I bet)

Is USB Keyboard enabled in CMOS?
Do you have the old PS2 keyboard plug on the back of the computer?

Also what brand (make and model number) computer is it?

Spend the $3.50 for a new Bios battery.

Clean your install disk AND borrow one from a friend.

Try yours again once.

Try the friends.

The fact that install asked for time/date is odd and the install process failing the way it does smacks of a bad install disk.

Worth a try anyway.

after about half way the computer restarts and then it asks to put in computer name and the time and date and then continues installing
No I don't think it lost the time/date
I think he means just the Windows install questions:
Country/ Keyboard/ Date etc

LOL - I have no idea what many people here mean but I try to believe they can speak English - often I am wrong!

how much memory do you have in the system? try installing windows with only one memory chip, then add the other and tell me what happens

No it's the HardDrive controller driver (highly likely)

But savythirsty, you're pretty good, welcome aboard. Just think (for a few more seconds :) ) before posting

Ok Ill try removing the ram. And here are my specs:
what am I running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

dell dimension 8400
geforce 8600 gts
p4 3.0ghz
Im not sure its a custom made dell wierd one
3 gb - 1gb that came with the comp and 2gb installed a long time ago
dell power supply
I believe it is 375

Directly from your Dell support page:

Download this one ==> http://ftp.us.dell.com/SATA/R82876.exe

Custom Instructions for R82876.exe:

At the beginning of the operating system setup, press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

1. When prompted, select 'S' to Specify Additional Device.

2. When prompted, insert the floppy disk you created in step 2 and press Enter.

3. At this point you should be presented with a selection for one of the following depending on you hardware version and configuration:

- Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller

4. Highlight the selection that is appropriate for the hardware in your system and press Enter.

5. Press Enter again to continue. Leave the floppy disk in the system until the next reboot as the software will need to be copied from the floppy disk again when setup is copying files.

you cant use the program unless you have a floppy drive. It wont extract.
And I removed my extra 2gb of ram and disconnected my 2nd hd and installed but still wont work. I called all of my friends and they all have xp pro or vista. Where could I get a xp home edition boot disk thats in cd?

DId you try going to system setup (pressing f2 at dell logo)under drives checking if the sata operation was set to combo? that might work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back