BSOD - 0x0000009f, can't seems to locate faulty driver

telshak

Greetings,

I recently had issue with my alienware where windows wouldn't boot anymore, so i reinstalled the system and installed all drivers i was aware to install/udate.

But i've been getting random BSOD mainly during gaming, i've verified drivers and they seems up to date, also verified for unsigned (digitally drivers) and only 2 were fund that i doubt are causing BSOD.

Any help is appreciated as i have no idea how to read and understand minidumb.

Thank you.

ps, i tried to upload my minidumbs but they says 268is is the limits, yet my minidumbs are off 600+, any ideas on how to upload them here?

thanks

What OS are you running?

Also, try this...

1. Go to our Download section and click on Utilities and then download Driver Sweeper 3.1 to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Greetings

I have attached the 2 latest minidumb and a dxdiag about my system, you will notice that only an intel HD graphic card is noticed on the dxdiag, but the system has a nvdia gtx 460m, I believe they run through sandy bridge? or something like that.

I had also tried to delete drivers and reinstall in safe mode, or even through after the fresh reinstall of the OS. But it failed.

This is what I notice.

I sometime play a game called league of legends, I can do about 3-4 match, (random), and then on the following game load, I get stuck with 30fps, and no Matter what, (unless I reboot), the system will end up with a bsod, then I reload and go back to my regular caped 60fps for that game.

So I guess that the driver stop responding after a certain amount of time or something triggers it to stop?

I appreciate any support, and I apologize about my delay on my answer, I have been away on work duties.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• 090611-18844-01.zip
    135.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 090711-17019-01.zip
    73.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DxDiag.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 0
My suspicion is that you might have a heat issue and from what I have gathered through research this just might be the problem.

Both errors are the same 0x9F and both cite the Windows OS driver ACPI.sys. Now usually OS drivers are too general to be of much diagnostic help but in this case it might be different.

ACPI = Automatic Configuration Power Interface and is a driver which will attempt to throttle CPU usage when temperatures get to high (and other power management operations)

Here is another explanation: ACPI is an open standard specification introduced by industry to allow operating systems to "discover" hardware and manage power resources. It is what allows "sleep mode" and "wake on key" as well as other energy management processes. acpi.sys is Windows system driver that handles these processes.

As you know when you game it puts a load on your video card as well as your cpu. This increases the heat and if the temperatures go too high your system will crash. Do the following: a) Check your system temperatures, b) make sure all fans are running and see if anything inside the case is hindering air flow, c) with your case side panel off check for dust build-up especially around the cpu and the cpu fan itself as well as video card fan, and d) play LoL with side panel off and have a samll fan blow into the case.

* Get back to us with what you find/try and the results.

Greetings,

I use a laptop from alienware (dell), so the sidepannel plan may not really help, but i have a cooling mat that can help with airflow.

I have installed hwinfo 64 infos and will logs system status and heat, i will report if i find anything weird happening with details right before it crashes.

What i find weird is that it always give me crappy fps/loading issue 5-10minutes before crashing, which i guess heat causes ressources usages issue.

I will keep an eye out and update if it happens again.

Thank you for the tip.

For laptops, i can control the fanspeed of 2 of em, they are usually set on auto, but by the sound of them, i don't hear them going high long enough under heavy usages.

I can set them up to 4200rpm each, what would you recommend for laptop fan? 3000rpm while gaming and system auto while regular task?

hmmm so it crashed again right after posting that and all heat were correct since i had just booted up.

gonna search on alienware forum if this is a known issue.

Greetings,

I just looked at the bios settings, overclocked is disabled, but there's an option "turbo cpu something" that is enabled, do you think i should disable it?

for the usage i use with an i7, i doubt i need overclock, but im not sure if this option works since the overclock is disable.

Turbo kicks in as needed. I would keep it enabled but I certainly would do further study on this. I think you are correct in searching out the Alienware forums for further information on this and your system crashes. Something certainly isn't correct here.

Do your issues with games only occur online?

By the way, both my son and I play LoL. But I stink because the keyboard is my bane. QWER and F and D are not my friends. I am not a console gamer in the least but I sometimes think an XBOX 360 controller might actually be a benefit for me.

Hehe, no problem.

The online forum wasn't of much help, so i sent a complain to the forum liaison assistance "dell-chris-m" because phone assistance just suck... i work for dedicated server hosting support and gosh, their service is just lame.

Regardless, i might have found a tip, let me know what you think.

I tried to go for a third reinstall of drivers just now, but using the method you told me...

So i ran: uninstall of drivers (disabled windows drivers update).
rebooted ssafe mode, ran driver wipe software you said (can't remember name)

i rebooted, installed the intel HD drivers... fine so far, rebooted

tried to install my nvidia drivers, then the installer said "install can not continue, can not find compatible graphic hardware" .. yet i am using the driver from dell site regarding the 460m gforce card they provided the machine with...

So here is my guess, the geforce card is undetected anymore, died?

Could the issue be as follow:

1: the driver card still being in my machine, but not working could cause such conflict power state failure bsod?

2: or simply the intel hd card not being able to sustain usage because it is meant to be running through the gforce card?

3... i have no other idea.

Regardless, let me know what you think, i will also try to have them send a technician over to investigate and replace the part if it is indeed faulty.

I'll look forward to your idea and i'll update you as i deal with dell support srevice (kill myself) :(

thanks

Greetings,

also Do your issues with games only occur online?

In general yes, but as stated the system bsod after i posted the other update and i informed you i had just crashed, i was only on thunderbird/firefox then.

i am running dell autopsy system since their tech support is currently close. so i'll have certains things done so they can verify themself.

i'll update you again

hey.

Yeah pretty much, i'm always connected to wifi.

strange thing is that through 3 reboot yesterday, and the nvidia card wouldn't detect itself..

yet tonight i power up and the card seems to be detected...

So i will install the nividia driver now and see if it still happens, if the card stop getting detected i will call dell support and have them replace it.

Otherwise what do you think could be the issue?

my wifi card dw1501

hey.

Yeah pretty much, i'm always connected to wifi.

strange thing is that through 3 reboot yesterday, and the nvidia card wouldn't detect itself..

yet tonight i power up and the card seems to be detected...

So i will install the nividia driver now and see if it still happens, if the card stop getting detected i will call dell support and have them replace it.

Otherwise what do you think could be the issue?

my wifi card dw1501 wireless-n wlan half-mini card 5.60.48.35...same driver that dell provide online for my system.

i will install the nvidia driver now that the card is there and report any bsod if they happen again.

So how are things now? I was suspicious of your wifi/NIC card wondering if a driver update is needed. So you are saying you have the very latest driver for said card, correct?

i gotta check online if i crash again, but based on dell drivers, i do.

so far so good, 2 hours no crash 4 games no fps drop bug yet, let's see next game.

I strongly believe it was caused by the graphic card getting undetected and causing power issue as it was still in the laptop... i dunno,

Im looking at hwinfo and heat are fines 40-60*C

well up to 7 games, no crash so far.. either my lucky night, or having redid some drivers install (cougar points, nvidia) etc fixed the issue... but i still haven't figured out why the nvidia card went missing or wouldn't get detected =(

Back