BSOD and cannot boot to safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbkate

Hi all, i come to techspot OFTEN to solve issues and so far haven't had to post a specific problem. i need the experts to help with this dang Dell LOL.
After installing a Belkin wireless router, BSOD visited and i cannot boot into safe mode. It begins the safe mode "load" then freezes at the black screen.
this is a Dell DM051 Desktop. Dell has nothing to offer in the way of help. here is the list of BSOD codes:
0x00000007e; C000001d; 80537008; 0xba4c31bc; 0xba4c2eb8.
I was finally able to access the built in Dell Diagnostic Test, but i am not sure which tests to run. am running the Symtom Tree tests for "OS will not boot". All tests passing right now. Cannot boot into safe mode and have no clue how to access dos. This is a Pent 4 2.5 gb ram with Win XP home.
I am stumped here!!
Thanks for any help, Kate

Hi Kate, your error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

It would probably be a safe bet that the issue is with a Belkin driver considering you had no issues prior to this.

Can you boot normally?

cannot boot at all

thanks for replying. i cannot boot normally nor into safe mode. Win begins to boot then goes to blue screen. Safe mode starts listing files and stops completely.

Was it very first restart after installing Belkin?
At what file does safe mode boot stop?
How long did you wait?

not sure

this is a customer's pc. i don't know exactly when the blue screen came up, but it was after the belkin install that they did themselves'
i can tell you that this first time i tried to turn on the pc i got a post post message stating that it could not read the primary drive. i went into bios and the Disk 0 was switched with Disk 1. There is only one SATA drive installed.
The file that stops is the same each time, but i am running the built in Dell diagnostics now and do not want to interrupt the tests. i did wait all afternoon today (had to tend the stupid chickens) and this evening again it was at least 2 hours and it never continued to try to boot safe mode.
i believe it was the file right after avg....
i will do it again in themorning and post something more intelligent. lol
please let me know what else i can provide to you to help me with this. thank you so much for your time.

Dell system tests

Every test in their incredibly long list returned "Passed".
I have not restarted the pc again this morning yet, anything i should watch for or try to get for you to attempt helping me with this problem?
thanks so much for your help

Try system restore from recovery console....

If you have Windows XP CD... (if you don't have Windows CD, scroll down)

1. Boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R:

xp_src_welcome.gif

3. You'll find yourself at this screen:

xp_src_console.gif

4. Once you are at the Recovery Console you will be given at least one choice of Windows installations. Normally the choice you want is the number 1 choice. Click the number 1 key at the "top" of the keyboard and click enter.

NOTE: at this point your numbers to the right of your keyboard are turned off. If you insist on using these keys for your numbers remember to hit the Numbers Lock key before clicking a number over there or your computer will automatically reboot and you will have to wait through the previous steps to get back to the console.

5. You will be given a message asking for the administrator password. Unless someone or something has messed with your computer there is no password so you just click the Enter key.

6. This will bring you to a prompt that says:

C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "\" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

===============================================================================

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-9

===============================================================================

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

If you don't have Windows CD...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Follow steps 3 - 14.

Answers to earlier questions

You asked what file the safe mode attempt stops at:
these are in the reverse order on my screen (\avgrkx86.sys being last).

\Drivers\avgrkx86.sys
\Drivers\Mup.sys
\Drivers\NDIS.sys
\Drivers\NTFS.sys
\DRIVERS\WudfPf.sys
\Drivers\KSecDD.sys

Now i will attempt the CD based recovery. THis is a total PAIN lol. Thank you so much for your help!
Kate

It gets more interesting as we go!

Ok .. the cd started to load. didn't make it to the choice for R though; New blue screen
"Session3_Initialization_Failed"
***STOP: 0x0000006F;( 0xC0000020; 0x00000000; 0x00000000; 0x00000000)
now what LOL

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

thank you

i am going to remove the hdd and recover data from it and recommend a new pc to the customer. this is something i will do on MY time not the customers. i will come back here when i am ready to tackle this monster, but for now i am DONE. i have imgburn and will create the disk for later use.
thank you again for all your help. i am just wasting time and their $$ fighting this. they have called 3 times this morning to ask about the pc .. grrrr
thanks again,
Kate♠

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back