BSOD and corrupt files

drdysdy

I've been having a problem with BSOD's and files being corrupted instantly. At first I thought it may have been a problem with my Hard Drive or RAM. I used a new hard drive, reinstalled windows 7 but the problem continued. I tested my RAM with Memtest for about 8 hours and there were no problems.

I'm really at a loss as to what could be the problem. My RAM is fine, and my hard drive is as well.

I just reinstalled windows on the new hard drive so I don't have any minidumps available at the moment. As soon as I get another BSOD I'll post one.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide, I'd assume you can't provide any until I'm able to post the minidump, but if you have any idea's at all as to what the problem could possibly be, I'd appreciate it.

Do you do anything specific when the BSOD occurs? Or even something more general (music, gaming, facebook)?

And what do you mean by files getting corrupted instantly. What sort of warning messages are you getting on this, or is the BSOD the warning?

As soon as I download something it becomes corrupted, this happens about half the time. Other problems that are most likely related are, Flash crashes while watching videos on all browsers, and when trying to run a Java game called Wurm Online Java crashes with an error code EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005), which I believe most likely has to do with corrupted files (I've tried reinstalling java and flash).

The BSODs are extremely random. They can happen while I play games, watch movies, even while I sleep and my computer isn't being used.

I originally had Windows Vista, and these same problems were happening, so when I got the new hard drive I also upgraded to Windows 7 and the problems persisted.

Something odd about it is, I used Seagate Seatools, and all tests failed on both hard drives, except for the short generic test which passed on both.

I've got a minidump now.

Attachments

• 123010-22994-01.dmp
    157.7 KB · Views: 11
Motherboard: ASUS P5LP-LE
GPU: Geforce 9800 GT
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3ghz dual core
RAM: 2 x 512mb 637mhz 2 x 1gb 533mhz
Power Supply: 480W (I forgot the brand)
HD: 1TB Hitachi Deskstar

If there is anything I missed let me know.

So, every time I try and stream a video, the plugin crashes. Could that be my graphics card?

I took a look at the dump file, it seems to point to some problems with your kernel, but I'm not really familiar with dump files that much.

So most likely problem you have here is that data is not being written correctly to your hard drive, as indicated by the downloaded files getting corrupted, and the apparent problems indicated by the dump file.

You bought a new hard drive, so lets assume that the problem is not with the hard drive. You did a clean install, so lets assume that the problem is not with the installation. I don't think that the problem would be caused exclusively by the video card. That leaves motherboard, CPU and memory.

Last thing I would try is to remove the 512K of the faster RAM, and see how the system runs just with the 1GB.

Beyond that I'm out of ideas, but there are many people on this board with far more computer expertise than me, so maybe one of them can help you out.

So bought new 1gb RAM sticks of the same speed as the older ones, the problem still continues. I took out all the of the RAM sticks and put in the new ones and the problem still persists.

Back