BSOD and other problems

catcher

Hello

System: Windows XP SP3

Lately I have been getting some errors. The computer has been running for more than 2 months just fine, after I had some blue screens, which I posted here about and apparently it was solved.

Since then I am using a different AV and FW, and PeerBlock. All the rest is the same, and have been like this for years.

First I will attach the BSOD which has happened this morning when I chose to restart my computer. Several seconds later after a black screen, a blue screen appeared.
Now after that blue screen, windows has restarted and got to some blue screen doing checks on C and on F (two seperate HDs, 2 from total of 3). Then restarted and got to windows.

And now I will explain the problems I experience.
Since the last 2 weeks, every couple of days or so, when I turn the monitor on at morning (I leave the computer on 24/7), I notice:

-The text files which had been open are closed. Folders are still open
-No internet, and dialer wouldn't connect.
-No audio (not always).
-Can't open text files (no resources available) or save files (can't register or something like that, forgot)
-I noticed once an nsappshell error when restarting (forgot what exactly and if related)
-I noticed this one only today, maybe because I found the computer at a state of during the error: A lot of error windows of PeerBlock and Delayed Write Failed error, of some file in PeerBlock folder (Attached).
I don't know if that program is the cause. Maybe it is for the insufficient memory, but is it the cause for the BSOD? Maybe some other thing (software or hardware) is causing all of these problems.

After restart:
-When getting to desktop, while it loads programs I get explorer.exe error /crash (windows message). And also happened once after that, also drwatson error.
-I notice the blue theme is not present on the small logging window before reaching desktop, then it disappears and reappears with a theme.

In the times I got explorer.exe crash after restart, I do another restart and windows works for a couple more days.

Now I think that all these problems have one cause, some software, maybe malware, or I hope not hardware. I hope its not several problems, but one that is causing the other etc.

Hopefully this latest BSOD will help find the cause. Is it that easy or will I have to run some programs, or not run programs that may cause this?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Mini071610-01.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 1
  • file.png
    file.png
    8 KB · Views: 2
It is an 0xD4 error, which means that a driver unloaded itself without cancelling pending tasks, i.e. lookaside lists/threads etc. While trying to do a stack backtrace i am getting error with regard to symbols which is weird, but i will look at it when i get home this weekend.

Please take a look at event viewer logs, and see whether there is something of useful nature is being recorded to help get to the bottom of this issue. In case you get any more BSOD's please post them. Regards

This morning again there was no sound and no internet, but I could open/save documents fine.
I restarted and again a BSOD appeared, attached. I assume it is similar to the earlier one.

I checked the event viewer but didn't see anything occurring at the time of the BSOD.
Maybe the two Application Errors of VSS and EventSystem which happened at 11:38:19, but I guess it happened just after restart and regarding some Services disabled.

Under System I noticed maybe a few hundred Dhcp Warnings happening earlier today at 6:35:11 AM which I can assume that when internet stopped responding. But what caused this, and when was the sound gone too?

I attacked the event viewer logs as well, I zipped them since they were too big to attach.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini071810-01.dmp
  • EventViewer1807.zip
    64.7 KB · Views: 1
Same error.

However, this MS article also points out at two other reasons, i.e. Virus or HDD errors. So please check your system for viruses by going through Malware/Virus Forums 8 steps, and also run HDD diagnostic utility of your HDD's manufacturer. I will get back to you with further info later.

Also, if you enable driver verifier it may be helpful.

Today it happened again, while I was watching a movie on the computer. I noticed internet got disconnected but there was still sound. I could save documents but at the same time received the message "Unable to register the document. The document may already be open". I couldn't run programs while receiving the message "Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service".

Before restarting windows tried to close "nsappshell:eventwindow", then again there was a BSOD and restart.

Regarding your suggestions:

HDD diagnostic utility:
I downloaded the utility for my hard drive model and ran quick test, then extended test (performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive) for each of my 3 drives.
All results came out as Passed so I assume there are no problems with the HDs. I can attach the logs if it will tell anything more. Is there a different app to check with?

Malware/Virus Forums 8 steps:
1) Anti Virus - I use one and do scans regularly, it did not detect anything but a few false positives.
2) TFC - I ran it
3) MBAM - I ran it and attached the log of what it found. I found a "sysdrv32 (Backdoor.Bot)" and deleted it. I remember finding it as a file and I deleted it. But could it still be (until now) in the registry and harm my computer?
Besides this, it also found 3 items regarding Security Center, which I have disabled. I did not remove those as I think they are not harmful items.

I stopped here since after running verifier, MBAM, then TFC I restarted and just before getting to windows I get some blue screen and before seeing whats on it It restarts again and goes on a loop.
I managed to get to desktop by pressing F8 and choosing last known configuration. I am not sure if it means I now lost something.

It upsets me that by trying to solve a problem more problems appear. I will back up some files and maybe format hoping its a software thing. Then install AV and FW first thing.

Attachments

• Mini072010-01.dmp
  • mbam-log-2010-07-20 (12-02-46).txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 1
  • tfc log.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
I opened a thread here since of the BSOD I had, but it might be related to malware so I assume I need to open a thread in the malware forum, and monitor both threads.

But for now I will do a clean install and see if any similar problems occur in the near future. In that case I will open a new thread. So feel free to close this one.

Thanks for the help, it's nice to see people who help others like this.

Back