BSOD - c000021a - 0xc000003a

mom9497

I hope someone can help me with this. I'm a newbie and not computer savvy so please bare with me. Our Dell laptop m1530 (Vista) is showing a BSOD with the following message...stop: c000021a (fatal system error). The session prefixes system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down. This happened suddenly while surfing on Google Chrome. The system just froze so we tried rebooting it and got the BSOD.
I have tried Repair your computer, running it in safe mode and Last Good Configuration with no success. All it does is show a blue screen with writing on it for a split second, reboots itself and then back to BSOD. I've tried running the original reinstallation DVD that came with the laptop but that doesn't seem to work either. The disc loads and then just hangs on a black screen with a white cursor. I've also tried removing and putting back the hard drive and ram sticks, but no luck.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try next or if this problem is even fixable. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Windows installation is probably corrupt, and with all the updates, program installations, and deletions, and temp files over time, the re-installation DVD is useless now. Also, the hard drive may be dying. I can imagine that this laptop is over 5 years old

Thanks for your reply Tmagic650. Yes, this laptop is in fact 6 years old. I run scans regularly (pc tools registry mechanic, spybot search and destroy, and AVG). Is this problem correctable? Would replacing the hard drive help?

"Would replacing the hard drive help?"... Yes because it would cause you to install Windows fresh and ensure that the hard drive was okay. Upgrading to Windows 7 would be a wise move too

Hi Mom9497,

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:
  • Mismatched system files have been installed.
  • A Service Pack installation has failed.
  • A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
  • An incompatible third-party program has been installed.
Re-installing Windows Vista would result in loss of data and if you wish to go ahead with the same, please click on the link below for correct steps to re-install the operating system.

http://dell.to/18gxWcX

Restoring your computer to its original factory settings takes less time than reinstalling Windows Vista. Going back to factory settings could be a better solution for you. Keep in mind that after re-installing Windows Vista, you will no longer have this option. Click on the sub-link for "Restoring your computer to it original factory settings" for steps to restore.

Additionally, run the diagnostics before replacing the hard drive to check for hardware functionality or errors.
Click on this link for running the diagnostics: http://dell.to/164mwx3

Thanks and regards,
Babita_G
#iworkfordell
[FONT=Arial]For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our[/FONT][FONT=Arial]Support Site .[/FONT]

Thanks Tmagic650. I will consider replacing the hard drive and updating to windows 7 after I've run a Diagnostic as suggested by Babita_G.
Babita_G thanks for your reply as well. I will run a diagnostic as you've suggested and see what comes up. I'll post my findings once it is done.

Thank you both again for your help!

Hi Mom9497,

Thank you for your reply.

Please keep us posted on the results so that we may assist you further, if required.

[FONT=Arial]Thanks and regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Babita G[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]#iworkforDell [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit ourSupport Site .[/FONT]

Hi Babita G, I ran the diagnostic, and as Tmagic650 stated, the hard drive is the problem. I received msg error code 2000-0142 status 79. I'm assuming by ordering a new hard drive my problem should be corrected. Am I correct? Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks Tmagic650. I will do that. Thanks so much for your help! It's not too important, but is there any way I could still recover some pictures off the old hard drive? There's not too many, because I usually save them to a USB, but if I could still have them that would be great.

Thanks again Tmagic650. For that price, I will definitely try it! I really appreciate all your input! I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Okay, we were glad to help. Just make sure that the hard drive is either SATA or PATA and get the appropriate enclosure

SUCCESS!!!!!!! I purchased the hard drive enclosure and was able to recover the photos!!! Thank you again Tmagic650!! I haven't purchased a new hard drive yet, but that will be my next step. Hopefully I'll have this laptop up and working again soon.

Back