BSOD - Driver_IRQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnighttiger

Hey all.. Just went and bought a brand new lappy. Toshiba X500-00X. Windows 7 x64, nVidia GTS250M GC, Core i7 720Q, 4GB DDR3 RAM.. Only bought it yesterday and have already got lots of BSODs, all with the same message :S On the actual BSOD it says "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" Sometimes it is without "driver" at the start though. Every time it mentions something about tcpip.sys.. This lead me to think it may have been my network card, but I've updated the drivers for that :S It doesn't seem to happen at any particular time, it's just random. Am about to do a memtest, but just thought I'd post here first in case the problem could be pinpointed. I've attached some minidumps and a text file with some info from event viewer on a critical error.

Cheers!

There were no minidumps attached at all. It had to do with DV capture, etc.

And, yes, tcpip.sys is a Windows driver that does have to do with networking/internet.

That error is an 0xD1 and they are usually caused by faulty drivers but also by faulty or mosmatched RAM.

Thankyou for the reply! =) RAM test has just finished, said everything was fine.. Would the RAM test pick it up if it was mismatched? I'm a noob when it comes to the inside of computers :S I've attached the minidumps again, hopefully they're actually there this time :p And I've updated everything to do with networking..

Cheers ;)

All of your minidumps cite the same error code 0xD1 and these are usually caused by faulty drivers though also by faulty or mismatched memory.

The driver cited is fwpkclnt.sys as the cause of your BSODs. This is a Vista OS firewall driver and there many, many people that have had issues with it running Vista. If you do a search for it you'll see what I mean.

Usually OS drivers are too general to be of much help. However, in your dumps they also noted that this OS driver was preventing the Blink software driver eeyetv64.sys from loading. The vendor of this software is eEye Digital Security.

If you do a search for this driver with Vista 64 you will see others have problems with this driver as well.

You could try 3 things: 1) Update Blink, 2) Uninstall Blink, 3) search for a Hotfix for fwpkclnt.sys from Microsoft for your OS.

You legend! Uninstalled blink, not only do I not get a BSOD every time I logon, the lappy runs faster too ;) Now I just need to find a replacement security suite..
Thanks again!!!

You legend! Uninstalled blink, not only do I not get a BSOD every time I logon, the lappy runs faster too ;) Now I just need to find a replacement security suite..
Thanks again!!!

Great! And you're welcome. :) Explain what Blink does and we can help you with finding a security suite.

Blink did pretty much everything, intrusion prevention, anti-malware etc. etc. But it doesn't matter, every other suite I have tried seems to disable my fingerprint scanner :S As does the windows inbuilt firewall..

First, Windows 7 firewall from everything I have read from users is really good as compared to Vista's firewall and especially the very poor XP firewall.

Second, I would recommend the layered method of protection as many of us find it to be a more robust. This is where instead of a security suit you use security protection from several resources and making the combination as you want it.

Here are some excellent options:

$ antiviruses: NOD32 and Kaspersky; both Avast and Avira have $ versions as well

Free Antivirus: Avast and Avira. Seriously, thay are excellent choices.

Malware/Spywarwe = Malwarebytes and Superantispyware -- again, excellent choices.

Firwalls: Zonealarm and Comodo as XOR points out.

Edit Update: Hmmm, I may have been a little too fast on suggesting ZA. Check out this discussion: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=627217

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back