BSOD Memory Management

twi5tedxi

I'm sorry if you guys have solved this problem before but I am quite tech illiterate and cant follow any solutions that you guys have come up with that are close to mine

When Im playing world of warcraft one of two things happen

1.) My Display driver freezes then is "recovered"
2.) The screen goes black and I need to reboot

This happened for about a week and then it started to get worse.. I started getting BSOD's That say things like Memory Management, and Bad Header, and I believe there was an IQ one..

My firefox also randomly crashes from time to time but I think i have that pinpointed to skype.

Thank you for any insight you guys can give.. I now just BSOD over and over

This is my systems dxdiag

perating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
System Model: A770E3
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B50 Processor (3 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 1902MB used, 6286MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68B8)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68B8&SUBSYS_1482174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 2806 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match? How about the timings?

Memory corruption can cause all kinds of issues. There can also be video ram failure but at this point memtesting your RAM is the first priority.

Alright, now did you buy these sticks seperately or as a pair? What is the make of your RAM?

Okay, depending on how long you've had them either NewEgg will do an RMA with you or OCZ will. Your memory should have a lifetime warrenty. Because you bought them as a pair you'll have to RMA them as a pair even if one stick is good.

I ran into this very same problem but not wanting to be without a computer I ordered one stick of value RAM from the Egg and ran my system with my one good stick until I had to do the RMA. Because I ordered ahead of time my system, though running slow, was only without RAM for a day.

Back