BSOD Ntfs.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have received the BSOD a few times (19) in the last 2 days. We built this computer about 2 years ago, but never used it....I know - but when we built it we moved and it there was no room for it so we used the laptop primarily. Well now we are in a house and there is plenty of room, and seeing as how the laptop mobo is now fried we are back to using the PC. We have been doing a bunch of upgrades and have installed a new sound card, dvdr drive, 3.5 floppy with memory reader (that I can't get to work) as well as put in a few new fans since these errors started to occur.

I am not exactly sure of the information you might need but here is the system info.

XP pro SP3
AMD 64 3200+
2.25 Ghz, 1.00 gb ram

I am not sure if the drivers to the sound card or new drives (dvdr and floppy) are correct, the floppy was given to us and did not have a disk. The dvdr plays dvds just fine, but we have not attempted to burn anything yet.

I have enclosed a zip file with the latest minidumps

It doesn't look like the attachments took to the first post....
I will try again.

Thanks ;)

I read the 10 minidump files of your first Zip folder. I strongly suggest you do the following:

A. Of all the errors present the most significant one lists memory corruption. If you have bad RAM you will have all kinds of issues. Do the following test:

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. if you allow it to go beyond 7 Passes so much the better. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

*** Get back to us with your results.

B. After Memtest and the replacement of RAM if needed then update your XP to at least Service Pack 2 and if you'd like go right to Service Pack 3. If you don't you are leaving your system wide open for infection because you are missing way too many security updates.

C. The driver mfehidk.sys was cited as one of your causes for your BSODs. This is a McAfee driver. Don't update; get rid of all things McAfee. Seriously, there are much better offerings out there that take less system resources while protecting much better.

There are some outstanding free options: For antivirus there is Avast 4.8 (which I run on two laptops and a second PC), Avira Antivir (which I don't have personal experience but is excellent). Free firewalls such as COMODO and Online Armor. And free antispyware programs such as SuperAntiSpyware (SAS).

I personally only install the $ versions on my main rig (though my Antivirus is NOD32 and not the others, plus SAS and Online Armor).

They all have active and helpful forums.

D. Then there was the driver ALCXSENS.sys which is a Sensaura audio driver belonging to RealTec. Go to their website and update the latest drivers for your onboard audio.

*** Do the memtest first and then A.S.A.P. your Windows update.

Thanks

I will run the memtest this evening and let you know more tomorrow. I have Windows XP Pro SP3. It is possible that this is memory failure. The RAM sticks that are in this computer were in our last computer when it died, when that happened though the RAM was basically new - so it has very little time on it. I am hoping that the lifetime warranty will get me new RAM if that is the issue.

Again I will get back to you as soon as I can tomorrow. Thanks so much :)

Strange, the minidumps show your Windows SP as 1. I have seen new memory installed in new builds and be bad right from the beginning. Why memory suddenly goes is a good question.

I have also seen corrupted memory on many occasions throw out all kinds of error codes that don't cite RAM as the issue. The error that cited corrupted memory is 0xA and these are strong indicators of hardware problems. Whether or not you get errors with memtest is something we have to see but it is a good solid diagnostic test.

As for the McAffee and RealTec drivers I would still jettison McAfee because as I said there are much better otions and update your RealTec drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back