BSOD on bootup & endless rebooting

scanman

I am working on a pc that has a BSOD every single time I boot it up. It will boot up so far and then will flash the BSOD screen and then start to reboot again and just keeps looping like this. There hasn't been any new hardware or software installed. I have tried everything that I can think of but have yet to be able to solve this problem so any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought perhaps it was bad ram so I ran Memtest86+ and some times it would pick up errors and sometimes it would not. I decided to test each stick individually before buying new ram. The old ram was some Ballistix Tracer ram from Crucial and I replaced it with the G.Skill ram. If I left any needed info out then let me know and I will post it Here are the specs of the machine and also a screenshot of the error message. Again any assistance would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. :)

Gigabyte motherboard GA-N650SLI-DS4 BIOS version 6.00PG
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512mb
PSU Silverstone 600W Model # SST-ST60F
4GB RAM Dual Channel G.Skill 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200

Attachments

• BSOD.jpg
    BSOD.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 3
Run the free hard drive diagnostics utility from Seagate called Seatools on your drive. They used to have burnable ISO files to do this.

Run the free hard drive diagnostics utility from Seagate called Seatools on your drive. They used to have burnable ISO files to do this.

Thanks Route44, I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know the results. I did run SpinRite on the drive today while I was posting my initial thread and I think everything checked out fine. After it was done I tried to reboot the pc but got the same results :( I will give Seatools a try though and will hopefully have better results to report back to you :) Thanks again Route44.

Okay I ran Seatools and it did mention that there was a firmware update for the drive so I downloaded that and installed it. I ran both the short test and the long test and it passed both of them. I tried to reboot the pc and got the same results. Any other suggestions on what I can try? I would like to not wipe the drive except as a last resort. I noticed it mentions something about ntfs.sys and an address on the bottom of the BSOD and am wondering if that file somehow became corrupt or something and if so is it possible to replace it with the one from the machine I am on now? Would this create new problems? Again thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Yes Sir I do have my Windows cd handy. I tried to use it to repair the windows installation thinking maybe something got corrupted but all it did was give me the BSOD again.

Any other thought or suggestions? One other bit of information to add to the post. There is a 2nd HD in the machine that would randomly disappear from the list of drives listed on the machine. Some days it would show up under my computer and other days it would not. Is it possible that the SATA ports on the motherboard are bad? I thought about buying a expansion card to drop in the machine and see if I could get it to boot up that way. What are your thoughts on this idea? I have priced out some inexpensive cards (it isn't for a RAID) and could go that route. Good idea or bad idea?

Route44 you still out there? Still looking for any other thoughts, solutions or ideas to try if anyone else has anything for me. :)

Thanks for the assistance Route44 but I will probably just reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything when I am on vacation next month and see if it happens again. If it does then I will explore other options. Thanks again for the assistance.

Back