BSOD on newly built PC

cschrille

Hey there. Last night I put on some South Park on my PC while going to bed and when I woke up I had gotten a BSOD. This build is 2 weeks old and has i5 2500k, 8GB RAM and GTX 580 Twin Frozr II. It said something with bad pool header in the BSOD screen. If you need any info at all I will be happy to answer.

Attachments

• 052412-25677-01.zip
    26 KB · Views: 2
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Tmagic will probably help you better though.

But here's my two-pence.

Boot up your PC. (If it is still bootable)
While it boots up (immediately after the BIOS splash screen appears), press F8 for Advanced Boot Options
Select 'Windows Recovery Tools' or something along those lines.
Select Memory Diagnostics (icon is a chip)
A MemTest menu will appear. Select a 10-pass test and let it run.
If it shows up with any error, it's your RAM that needs replacing.

From what I can see, it's a kernel error.
Can you please provide a system report? You may need to use tools like Speccy for a detailed report. Select the "Generate system report" or "save report" option and paste/attach the resultant .txt file.

Right-click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager (in the left-hand panel)
Are there any yellow triangles with exclamation marks over any components? If so, right-click on the component > Properties > Troubleshoot > Follow the on-screen instructions.

Run Windows Update.

And now, wait for Tmagic. :)

Computer boots perfectly and normal. I wll do the things you said later when I have time for it, ill be back.

No new windows updates, I had one device wit han exclamation mark, but could not find any troubleshoot button.

Speccy result uploaded.

Attachments

• ÄGAREN-DATOR.txt
    142.2 KB · Views: 4
Never fear I am here :) The minidump file is corrupt Cschrille. Try re-posting it. You don't troubleshoot yellow exclamation points, you find a missing driver for the device. Does this "missing device" have a name or is it labeled "unknown"? Are you overclocking?

@Tmagic, I thought the Troubleshooting menu updates missing drivers?

@OP: Tmagic is right, improper OCing can cause kernel errors (viz. miscalculation).

I never used the troubleshooting menu... just the "update driver" option... If nothing is found, the motherboard chipset or other motherboard drivers should be checked first. People tend to OC before the computer is stable, and the device manager is clean. I just upgraded my system and with a dual- boot Windows 7 and Windows 8, both 64-bit, I had issues with BSOD's. I had to disable the bios CPU temp control (C1E) and throttle down settings and all is well. My Intel i5 3450S Ivy Bridge CPU is locked at 2.8GHz, but it can be "pushed" to 3.5GHz

The missing device is just labeled unknown, its some USB port thats all I know. And no I am not overclocking I dont know if its running the turbo boost mode that is built in which makes it 3.7ghz, I have made no changes to the parts. And I just went out and walked my dogs and when I came back I had gotten another BSOD.

Attachments

• 052412-25677-01.zip
    26 KB · Views: 1
  • 052412-25864-01.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 1
The zipped minidump folder still won't open for me. The folders show as empty. That unknown might be a USB 3 device driver. You can get it from the motherboard's support website. I know the i5 2500K can be overclocked safely

Also, OpenVPN was running on both occassions, could it be causing the BSOD's? I have read about it causing kernel bsods.

If you are using Bitdefender firewall this is the cause of your BSOD's. So it is your choice to keep it or remove it

When you are running Windows 7, you don't need a 3rd party firewall. As you experienced BSOD's and general instability, you know why now. If you continue to have trouble, go with Microsoft Security Essentials, and a good Temp File Cleaner like the one from Oldtimer

Tried to launch BF3 and got another BSOD. When I restarted my PC this popped up automatically

"[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787"

The text file was called desktop.ini

http://www.mediafire.com/?1s67e6td8w2j8ye .dmp file from latest BSOD.
If any info is required just ask.

Also, Bitdefender kept blocking port scans, but it wont now since I disabled my firewall in it, will the normal windows firewall block port scans against my ip?

Remove Bitdefender entirely...
Minidump:
BAD_POOL_HEADER
Ntoskrnl.exe

This usually points to memory problems, but in your case Bitdefender is probably causing this Windows instability

The build is 2 weeks old... Why do you want to use such an invasive program? Do you have "bad" computer habits?

Back