BSOD on SATA drive no mater what I do

Hello everyone. I’m looking for help and will try to explain in as much detail as needed for this situation. For the last 2 years I’ve been running an older socket 754 motherboard with an AMD cpu with very little problems. I had 2 IDE drives and added a SATA 1TB drive last year with no problems on W-XP Pro sp3 32bit. Both my sATA and large IDE drive had the same OS and could boot up no problem. 12 days ago I started getting BSOD irql_not_less_or_equal while running on the SATA or IDE drive. SO I did a step by step elimination after reading many forums including your excellent web site. Scanned many times with various virus scanners and chkdsk /f and combofix. Then I started eliminating pci cards incase this was the problem. (After I checked the memory in a different board). I pulled the sound card first.. still bsod… then I pulled my ATI Radeon video card and the network card and used the onboard video and network. I could boot up to xp but still got the bsod after being on for a while. I thought it was over-heating (the cpu) so got a new fan but still..
SO….. To make a long story longer I went and got a new Motherboard, CPU and Memory (wanted to upgrade for a while) and with the new board I got an AMD Athlon II X4 635 quad p 2.9/GHz and 4GB of ram.
So now I can boot up to my 450GB IDE drive and when I do it reads and writes and sees the Sata 1tb drive no problem but when I try to boot up to the sata drive I still get the bsod and I get it right away. I copied all the minidump dmp’s but I no longer even get them when I try to boot up to the sata drive. Booting up to the SATA drive is a must for me and my preference and would love to solve this.
I have attached my minidump files. I’ve tried to read them but my debugger says I don’t have the right symbols. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated so I can solve the problem with booting to this SATA drive. Oh btw I cannot even go to safe boot on the sata drive.
Let me know if you need any more info. XP pro SP3 is the os and hardware is listed above.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Minidmps1-7.zip
    105.2 KB · Views: 4
If you are booting to a Sata drive you need to have the correct SATA/RAID drivers installed as Windows XP does not have SATA drivers included.

Very early during the installation of XP a message appears at the bottom of the screen asking you to hit F6 if you wish to install 3rd party drivers. It is at that point that you need to insert a floppy disc containing the correct drivers. You can get the drivers from the motherboard manufacturers site.

Alternatively (if you have no floppy drive) you can integrate the drivers onto a copy of your XP disc.

Unfortunately I cannot post the full link as I have not made enough posts to allow it, search for something like this.

news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6

If you are booting to a Sata drive you need to have the correct SATA/RAID drivers installed as Windows XP does not have SATA drivers included.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should of said that I already installed the sata/raid drivers. My op stated this drive has been booting and working fine for months. I was hoping someone might be able to tell from the minidmps what sort of errors that said.

I tried to open your dump files without success. Run through this guide and install the required tools you will then be able to zip up and post the dump files in a readable form.

Cannot post full url so add the usual http and www to this.

windowsbbs.com/general-discussions/33471-dump-data-collection-tool-instructions

Also, have a look in your Bios to see what mode the Sata drive is running in, if it is set to IDE change it to Auto or Sata/Raid. You should find this under Peripherals.

I've now been able to view your minidumps and all but one relates to drivers. I assume all these dump files were made after the new MOBO was installed.

Did you install the new mobo drivers onto both drives, if the SATA still has the old MOBO drivers on it that could explain the problem. You will have to do a clean install on the SATA drive to clean off all the old drivers and then re-install XP and install the MOBO drivers.

Back