BSOD on startup. (STOP: 0x00000024 (00x001902FE...))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo, Today when I started up my computer, I was greeted with a lovely surprise; A quick flash of a blue-screen, and my computer restarting almost as quickly as the BSOD appeared.

The first thing I did was let it restart again, thinking maybe the problem will magically fix itself long enough to fully start up. Alas, it did not. I then tried starting in safe mode, Which also caused my computer to reboot its self. I then tried getting into my system restore screen, thinking I could do a quick non-destructive restore to temporarily solve the problem. My computer also restarted as the was loading. I've tried booting from a disk to run Memtest, but my computer has apparent issues with that idea since it just tries to boot up from the hard drive like normal whenever I try too.

It was at the point that I became lost on what to do. Hence why I am here, making a post.

the full error from the BSOD is:
"STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xBAD1707C, 0x8B0F3805)"

I'm running windows XP, Media Center Edition I think.
With 2 GB RAM.
Now quite sure how to check my PSU, but the power supply says 350 Watts, and "input(?) 115/230V~,8/4A,60/50Hz"
I'm afraid I don't have any more of my computer specs at this moment, I'm waiting for a friend of mine to give them to me. (He wanted to see my specs about a week ago, and he should still have them)

My computer worked about 30 minutes before this all happened. (I had turned it off to give it a little break while I showered) And before I had turned it off, it was running unusually slow, and I had just gotten done installing some freeware games. I haven't installed any new hardware lately.

I'm thinking it's either a virus or trojan from the installed software. :/

And now since I feel like I've pretty much written a novel, I think I'll stop typing.​

Reboot and access your BIOS. If it isn't already, set your DVD drive to first bootable and try running Memtest again with CD in system at the reboot.

It looks like my computer is already set to boot from DVD/CD first. But it still won't run Memtest. (May reburn a new disk and try that.)

I also tried booting into safe mode again, but had no success. :(

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

Two possibilities come to mind qucikly:

1. Serious infection due to freeware games. You did not have this issue prior to these installs, correct?

2. There is a physical issue with the harddrive.

I don't remember where I got them on the internet, since the pages are bookmarked on the broken computer. But I did scan most of them before installed, and I had my firewall running when they were downloading and being installed as well. I think my firewall did at one point pop-up saying it had found something and I quarantined it right away.

Here is the thing about security software: You can have the best in the world but it can be overridden by us. I am thinking that through the downloading something infected your computer.

Do you have any friends or associates who have good tech experience?

Yeah, I have two relatives that both fix computers for a living. I can probably go to one of them.

The reason I ask is because often what you can do in these situations is to 'slave" a harddrive into another system and access the slaved harddrive via that system. Often you can run virus scans, retriev important information/files and burn to DVd or transfer to a flash drive, and do harddrive diagnostics.

Of course since they do it for a living they most likely have better tools, etc. to access the harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back