BSOD on Windows startup with onboard/offboard video

Airton

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling against constant BSODs on Windows startups. Last month I acquired a new PC with the following configuration:

OS Windows 7 64-bit SP1 (Professional)
CPU Intel Core i3 2100 3.10GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
4 GB RAM Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard Intel DH61CR (LGA1155)
HDD 977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 ATA Device (SATA)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10 ATA Device (Optical Drive)
EVGA Geforce GTX 560 01G-P3-1460-KR

At first I booted up the Windows 7 DVD to make a clean install with the EVGA plugged in, but received either a BSOD or a system reboot. Then, I tried to boot the system with a Ubuntu live cd, which gave me a kernel panic.

I took off the graphics card and ran memtest86 with two safe passes. Then, I rebooted to the Windows 7 DVD and was able to install Windows 7. I also updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version. From this point on, my issue can be resumed as:

- Since I had the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" as video driver, I installed the latest "Intel HD Graphics Driver" (without the EVGA of course). I started up the system (Windows logo appears loading) and again a BSOD (subsequent startups I get a system reboot or black screen). In order to boot again to the hard drive, I have to start Windows in safe mode, uninstall the Intel driver, and reboot normally

- If I install the EVGA and startup Windows, I get a BSOD (subsequent startups I get a system reboot or black screen). I also booted the system on safe mode, installed the Nvidia drivers, but the problem persisted

I have attached two dump files.
- The 070212-13650-01 dump occurred when I installed the Intel HD Graphics driver and started the system. A SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED was thrown by ntoskrnl.exe
- The 070212-20467-01 dump occurred when I installed the Nvidia drivers and started the system. A SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION was thrown by ntoskrnl.exe

I suspect the issue is on the motherboard, since my PSU has 530w with active PFC and my memory stick didn't show any problems on memtest.

With my limited knowledge on hardware I'm running out of options, any help would be deeply appreciated! I tried to make the thread with as much relevant information as I could think of, if you think there's something missing, please tell me and I'll post it.
Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 070212-13650-01.zip
    21 KB · Views: 2
  • 070212-20467-01.zip
    26.8 KB · Views: 3
I would replace the power supply with a good quality 650 watt or higher PSU These ntoskrnl.exe errors are only an indication of general Windows instability. They show up in more than 80% of all minidumps

Hi Tmagic650,

I was afraid that could be it... I think I'll replace with a better PSU and see how it goes.

Than you very much for your attention!

[FONT=Arial]Hi,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]
I just changed the PSU to the s Seasonic S12II 520w. Started up and boom... BSOD ([FONT=Arial]070512-14773-01.zip[/FONT]). Restarted, set the BIOS to the default settings and boom again... another BSOD ([FONT=Arial]070512-15428-01.zip[/FONT]).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]
Man, this is hell... thoughts?[/FONT]

Forgot to mention, I did it with the graphics card plugged in the motherboard. Removed the graphics card and was able to boot again.

Attachments

• 070512-14773-01.zip
    34.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 070512-15428-01.zip
    26.9 KB · Views: 1
"[FONT=verdana]remote access and routing ARP driver"...[/FONT][FONT=verdana] Do you know what this is?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Is the replacement PS new? You are still a bit under suggested Watts, especially if you say the computer won't boot with a out-board video card. Does this video card require a connector from the power supply?[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana][/FONT]

I think "remote access and routing ARP driver" is from Microsoft's wanarp.sys driver, no??

The PSU is brand new. I searched through some calculators and all of them show it can handle my system:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
The Seasonic 520w PSU has some really good reviews:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-S12II-Bronze-520-W-Power-Supply-Review/954
I also thought the 520w was ok because EVGA site states a minimum 450w supply:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1460-KR

The card uses 2 PCI-Expres 6-pin connectors

"...is from Microsoft's wanarp.sys driver, no??" Yes, it was sited in the minidumps. The power supply should be okay. So when you install the EVGA Geforce GTX 560 01G-P3-1460-KR causes the BSOD's? Have you tried another card?

Yes, BSOD when I install the EVGA.

I haven't tried with another card, except for the onboard one. Whenever I install the intel graphics driver I get BSODs as well

Back