BSOD on XP - multiple errors - 100000c5 the latest

dtc

I have been getting intermittent crashes on my WIndows XP SP2 laptop. I have been having these for a couple of months, but they are increasing in frequency. I cannot trace the start to any new hardware or software. I ran MEMTEST for 18 hours and have not found any errors. I updated the BIOS to the latest, but that did not help. I have scanned with avast and with Malwarebytes and don't see any viruses. I used avast to clean the registry - only found references to deleted software.

Last crash

System Error - Category (102) Event ID 1003

Error code 100000c5, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 8054afd2

I have also had 1000050 and 100008e crashes.

The latest minidump is attached.

Any help is very welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini052011-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 5
Three things.

1. Never mess with the registry. We have seen more problems than any fixes when the registry is "worked" on.

2. We here at TechSpot strongly recommend all XP users to update to Service Pack 3 for both security and stability.

3. The driver cited is the Avast aswSP.sys as the cause of your issues. Now is Avast is very stable but their initial release of version 6 had problems which were rectified in the latest version 6. Update to the latest offering.

Thanks.

I agree with your recommendation on the registry. I am very careful of what I do there. I only deleted a few things from the registry and they were all very obvious leftovers from deleted programs. I did not delete anything that was not obvious.

I tried to update to SP3 a long time ago, but the update ran for a long time then said it could not do the update and restored to SP2. Never figured out why. I can try it again.

I am running the latest version of avast. Maybe I will delete it and re-install. I am running the free version. Does that matter?

Thanks for the quick response. It is very much appreciated.

Run driver verifier to confirm the problem driver.

For windows XP - Click on Start and then Run. Type verifier into the box and hit the Enter key.
For Vista and Windows 7 - Click on Start and type verifier into the search box then click on verifier in the list that pops up.

Driver Verifier Manager will open.

Select the first choice "Create Standard Settings" and click on the "Next" button.

Now select "Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer" and click on the "Finish" button.

A box will appear asking you to restart the PC for the changes to take effect. Click on "OK" and reboot the PC.

To stop Auto reboot so you can read the error message do this for Windows XP:
Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Failure, uncheck the "Automatically restart" check box.

And do this in Windows 7 and Vista:
Click Start, select 'Control Panel' select 'System' in the left pane select 'Advanced System Settings' in the box select the 'Advanced' tab then under 'Startup and Recovery' select 'Settings.' In the box under 'System Failure' uncheck 'Automatically Restart'.

If the PC reboots normally then there is no problem with any of the drivers. If you get a blue screen straight away it will name the faulty driver. If you are absolutely certain that the named driver is OK then make a note of it.

You will then have to go back into the Verifier and instead of selecting all drivers select "Select drivers from a list". Click on "Next" and the list of drivers will appear. Select them all apart from the one you know to be OK. Click on "Finish" and reboot.

Once you have identified the faulty driver or confirmed that there are none go back to the first page of the Driver Verifier Manager and select "Delete Existing Settings" and click on "Finish"

If you are having problems with updates follow this guide and try again.

1. Click on Start and type services.msc into the run box, and hit Enter. Scroll down the list to Automatic Updates, right click on it and select stop.

2. Type this into the run box %windir%\SoftwareDistribution, hit Enter and delete the entire contents of the "Download" folder.

3. Go back and turn the Windows Update service back on.

If the BSOD's persist please attach the last six dump files for further analysis

Installed SP3 - no problem this time.

Removed and re-installed avast.

Just finished this and unfortunately, just got another crash.

Error code 10000050, parameter1 96fe77c8, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 805bb442, parameter4 00000000.

Page Fault in non paged area

minidump attached

Can you point me to instructions on using verifier?

Is there an easy way for me to read minidump to determine what caused the crash?

Even though memtest showed nothing, I wonder if this is a memory error?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini052011-02.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 5
Can you point me to instructions on using verifier?

Yes, post 4.

Please post your last 8 minidumps so I can analyse them, this might help. I use the Windows debugger which sometimes gives more clues than using Blue Screen View but it can take a while for it to debug the files. Crash dumps can often be misleading as they often name windows drivers which are rarely the cause, especially if it is a hardware fault. A fair bit of experience is needed to be able to understand the results. Your better off letting someone here analyse the dumps for you.

The best test for your memory is to run the PC with only one stick at a time and use memory intensive programs, playing games or watching videos. Memtest86+ will find major faults but can miss minor ones because it does not run the mamory in the same way that windows uses it. If you only get BSOD's with just one of the sticks you have found the problem but you must test them all and when you find one that produces no faults then continue testing with the good one in different slots.

So, run the driver verifier as per post 4. If it comes up clean then run the PC on one stick at a time. Meanwhile post at least your last 8 minidumps, zip them all into one single zip file (don't include the ones we have already seen).

Mark56 - Thanks. Sorry I missed your verifier instructions the first time. I was posting about my 2nd crash and just missed it. I will try verifier per those instructions.

Unfortunately, these are the only 2 dumps I have. I just turned on the option to create minidumps.

Did you find anything in my second dump of use?

Thanks.

using verifier I got the following error

IO System Verification Error in HIDClass.SYS (WDM Dirver Error 22f)

[HIDClass.SYS + 1902 at F7578902]

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Also, I ran chkdsk just to be sure and it was clean.

The hidclass.sys is a driver related to the USB. Go into Device Manager and uninstall all devices under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Then reboot the PC and the drivers should all reinstall. Check in Device Manager that there are no yellow warnings, if there are you will get the missing drivers from the motherboard's manufacturer's site.

Then run the Driver Verifier again.

I uninstalled al the USB Serial Bus Controllers, rebooted and the drivers all re-installed. I still get the HIDclass error.

I replaced the memory with new memory.

Unfortunately, I got another Page Fault in non paged area error - same as before.

minidump attached.

Attachments

• Mini052211-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
This dump has named Avast again. Just for the time being completely uninstall Avast and replace it with the free version of Avira.

Use this Avast removal tool: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

And get Avira from here: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Try running driver verifier with no USB devices connected including the keyboard, obviously you will still need the mouse to be connected. This is an unusual error I have not seen before and there is very little information available in respect of this basic windows driver. It is also strange that this error occurs when you run driver verifier, the normal thing that happens, if it finds a bad driver, is it causes a BSOD with a C4 error code. If it happens again follow the Verifier instructions to not include the Hidclass.sys driver an run it again.

Report back with the results and attach any more crash dumps after Avast is out of the picture.

I removed avast and installed Avira. I was in the middle of a full virus scan on my system disk with the newly installed Avira, when the system crashed, with a Kernal Stack in Page error. Unfortunately, it did not write a minidump file. In the event log, there are 3 entries

Warning Disk Error Event ID 51 - iologmsg.dll

Error - iaStor Event ID 9 - iologmsg.dll
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Error - iaStor Event ID 9 - iologmsg.dll
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period

I suspect the disk errors may have prevented the dump file from being created.

I am suspecting that dropping it from a third floor window may be the solution.

Thanks for your help.

Ummm, try a fourth floor just to be on the safe side, lol.

Well, this keeps turning corners. Now try a hard drive diagnostics, follow this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

I used to manage DEC computer centers many years ago, as well as do a lot of programming including device driver and real time device programming. One thing I learned was that if errors seem to jump around, you are probably chasing the wrong thing. So, I went back to basics. The original error came from Avast and then the system crashed when doing an Avira run.

I previously used McAfee and had removed it. However, on further investigation, I found that there were still a few pieces of McAfee still on the system and even one McAfee service running. I know that running multiple virus programs can sometimes cause unexpected problems. So, I used a McAfee program that is suppose to remove all traces of its software and it found several things and deleted them. Since then I have been running Avira full system scans regularly as well as running video. These stress the system as much as I can easily do - both CPUs at 80%+. So far, so good. I will keep trying.

The HIDCLASS error is still occuring when I re-boot with verifier on. But, whatever is causing it does not seem to be a major problem.

On a side note, the buttons on my keypad have been sluggish and I have decided that the old laptop was just old. But, now the buttons are back to normal. Not sure why. But the button problem started about the same time as the crashes.

My guess - pure guess - is that something changed with an Avast update that conflicted with the McAfee pieces that were left. If the system stays stable, I may go back to Avast, but for now Avira is running.

And, I now have double the memory installed and SP3 installed.

For now, the third and fourth floor windows are closed.

Thanks for your help!

Sounds like it is all coming together and may well have been all down to the remnants of McAfee and the update on Avast causing conflicts. Strange things can happen that are difficult to track down, but you are getting there.

As I suggested before you could run driver verifier with that Hidclass driver removed from the list, as per the instructions I gave.

Mark - I have not gone after the Hidclass problem yet. I'll let things settle down first. On reason to post now, was to try to force a crash. I assume if it was going to crash, it would be right after I posted my succcess! Plus, I do have other things to get done. This has taken up a lot of time Thanks for your help. I will report back if I get further updates.

Back