BSoD only in Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyfulldreams

I have been having quite a bit of virus and spyware problems recently, but I generally get it fixed within a day or so of it really acting up. The first thing I tried to do when I got a pop-up telling me to download some fake anti-virus thing or whatever, I immediately rebooted and tried to start in Safe Mode so I could run some antivirus scans and get rid of the problem quickly. However, when I tried to enter safe mode, all the files scroll down the prompt like it usually does (and should) when it suddenly stops, the screen flickers, and I get this Blue Screen of Death:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is your first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options suck as chaching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x80535FF0, 0xF7BE43B4, 0xF7BE40B0).

The same thing happens with Safe Mode with Networking or any other kind of Safe Mode, but I can start in Normal Mode fine. I tried the F8 thing, same thing happens, can't go into with Networking or Command Prompt either. I also tried rolling back my configuration or whatever (like...rolling my comp back in time? A more computer-oriented person helped me with that, I just know that it didn't work.) I'm also pretty sure I have adequate memory, about 10 gigs in my C:/ drive and around 20 in D:/. I have no idea what this 'BIOS' thing is. >.>;

So, I figured, the malware or spyware I had was making it so I couldn't go in Safe Mode to remove it. I updated my virus programs (Malwarebytes and AVG, though I find AVG less reliable), and Malwarebytes found about 18 infections (;_; ) and quarantined them all, except for these 2 files that always showed up whenever I scanned my computer, despite how many times I've tried quarantining them, which were 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Controlset001\Services\BITS\ImagePath' and 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Controlset001\Services\wuauserv\ImagePath.' I also had the same 2 files in Controlset 002, but not 003. I got the problem fixed by looking on the internet and found that running 'regedit' and going directly to the files in question, altering my permissions to full control, and renaming the files so that instead of saying '%fystemroot\System32\svchost.exe -k netvcs' it said '%Systemroot', worked like a charm.

After I got rid of (what I thought) was all my malware, I tried starting up in Safe Mode and running one last scan or two from there just to make sure, and I still get the Blue Screen of Death with the same Stop Message. I've had no real success with finding out what the stop code means because wherever I look I can't find a guide-for-stupid-people on 0x7E stop errors and the Microsoft one I don't understand. (I have a Dell something-or other, Windows XP.) I wondered if it was a hardware problem and nothing with viruses and ran a hardware check with the 'Dell Dimension and XPS ResourceCD', but the 'brief check' thing didn't find anything and the more complex check was too confusing and it gave me lots of color checks and I accidentally stopped it once or twice and so I just gave up on that. @.@

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? (Normal mode works perfectly fine and neither Malwarebytes or AVG find anything wrong while in it).

I already looked on that website in the sticky for the forum but nothing for my problem was there, as far as I could tell.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information paying particular attention to yellow triangles with exclamation marks and Red Xs.

it still sounds like you have serious infection and you are correct about AVG being less reliable. Do you know why you are having so much infection recently?

I strongly suggest that you go to the Virus and Malware removal forum, read and follow the UPDATED 8 Step sticky -- don't skip any steps, and then post at that forum with the 3 required logs attached.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information paying particular attention to yellow triangles with exclamation marks and Red Xs.

it still sounds like you have serious infection and you are correct about AVG being less reliable. Do you know why you are having so much infection recently?

I strongly suggest that you go to the Virus and Malware removal forum, read and follow the UPDATED 8 Step sticky -- don't skip any steps, and then post at that forum with the 3 required logs attached.

I think I have an idea...

I'm a fanatic for japanese comics and tv shows. (anime and manga), so I sometimes go to not-all-too-trustworthy websites in order to satisfy my needs. >.>; I will do as you suggest, thank you for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back