BSOD (Page fault in non-paged area & IRQL not less or equal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pookgai

I'm always one for trying to fix my computer myself - technically slightly above average, and logical at troubleshooting...but I am losing my patience with this one!!

hardware in brief: Dell C521 - broadcom wirless card, nvidia geforce 6150 le graphics card, 3 gig of ram (2X1meg from crucial, and 2 x 512k default sticks that came with the machine).

Long story short, I had vista, wiped it and put windows 7 32 bit version.

Problem: intermittant BSOD with errors as per topic heading

Tried:
1) memtest - ran it for 11hours, 6 passes, and no errors.
2) un/reinstalling windows 7 several times
3) reverting back to windows vista - issues with pixelling/garbagging when windows was powering up into profile

so, the last point leads me to suspect graphics card problem.. however, I have never, and am unable to get winbdg.exe to read my dump file , as it asks for symbols. (I downloaded the pack and it had a zillion files in it, not sure which to pick. I tried a few, and the dump file still wouldn't work).

I invite the best of the best, mac-daddy IT gurus to read the attached dump file and please please help me!! :(

I've spent the last 2 weeks trying different things to sort this problem...argh!!!

Attachments

• 070310-17206-01.dmp
    196.5 KB · Views: 3
Your error code is 0xA and these are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level addresss higher than they are designed for resulting in system crashes.

The file cited the WINdows OS drive HIDCLASS.sys and usually OS drivers are too general to be of much help but in your case it is probably the exception.

HID stands for Human Interface Device and often has to do with HID USB components. Research has shown that in some cases people had to disable HID-compliant consumer control devices from Device Manager. Ofdten in the case of getting games to work; I am not endorsing this step, only relaying information.

It looks like a bad HID (read controller, keyboard, mouse etc) driver; probably kernel level drivers for USB devices.

It could be your mouse or keyboard. Are they USB connected?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.

yeah, they're USB connected..

ive attached some new recent logs as well, and would grately appreciate if you could have a look at those as well..?

I suspect it may be usb related, as I received a new BSOD error this evening (can't remember what it said), and I had my HTC phone plugged in via USB when restarting the machine (to finish of installing window updates).

Attachments

• 070510-16333-01.dmp
    128 KB · Views: 1
  • 070510-17362-01.dmp
    146.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 070610-40201-01.dmp
    128 KB · Views: 1
The error that is the most urgent at this moment is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issue.

The reason I say urgent is because the cited issue for your problems is hardware_disk.

1. Back up every thing A.S.A.P.

2. Find the make of your harddrive. Go to the manufacture's website and download their free harddrive diagnostic utility and run both the short and long tests.

* I am not saying that definitively this is the central issue because the other two errors cited other problems but they pale in comparison to the possibility of a harddrive crash. Recovering lost data is very expensive.

*** Better safe than sorry.

Hi. thanks - yes, everything all backer up.

I've actually formatted and reinstalled windows 7 on the machine several times and still I get various different BSOD messages... :( irqL, bad pool header, page fault and even a blue screen that didn't even give me a messsage at the top.

I ran a chkdsk, and nothing jumped out at me (but I don't know how to read them): here are the results:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
41984 file records processed. File verification completed.
35 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 2 EA records processed. 44 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
61050 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
41984 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 116 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 116 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 116 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
9534 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
1425160 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
41968 files processed. File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
58373663 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

244098047 KB total disk space.
10461156 KB in 32161 files.
24860 KB in 9535 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
117375 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
233494656 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
61024511 total allocation units on disk.
58373664 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 a4 00 00 eb a2 00 00 b2 4f 01 00 00 00 00 00 .........O......
23 00 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 #...,...........
e0 89 3a 00 50 01 39 00 f8 17 39 00 00 00 39 00 ..:.P.9...9...9.

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

I did let the system run a repair (the option given after the PC detected a BSOD) and it gave me an error of 0x490 which, after a quick google search, points to a corrupt partition..?

This Dell c521 came with 2 partitions, I deleted both of them (the OEM hidden partition remains untouched). Could this be the cause?

I've also attached some new BSOD logs. I'm tempted to try getting a new hard drive to see if that would fix it..

Attachments

• 071110-17518-01.zip
    166.8 KB · Views: 0
*bump*

I'm still having this prob - i've backed up all the info on my hard drive, and persisted with the random BSOD.

Any more advice/action I can take? next steps? I am wondering whether its a corrupt harddrive that caused all of this?

To come clean...the point when all this happend was when I did a hard reboot of the system (held down the power button on the machine) when the computer drive was still doing its thing mid-install of Windows... i know, i know...i shouldnt have done! :(
(it looked as though it was hanging on the install as it stayed on 35% for like..forever!!)

Any ideas what could be giving me the issues?

Sorry pookgai for not responding to your 7/11/10 post with minidumps. :blush: I don't know how I missed your response. :confused:

Anyway, in your next post zip your five latest minidumps and I promise not to take two and a half months to read them!

Haha - no probs.

Not sure if this is allowed or helps, but I have uploaded a few dumps spread over the month.

Hope you can help! :(

I dont mind buying new parts, but only if I 100% need them.

Attachments

• 17th Sept.zip
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 28th Sept.zip
    152.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1st Oct.zip
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
pookgai, I know this may take a bit of time but could you please just zip the five most recent minidump files in one Zip file. And the next 5 in a second Zip file.

And, no, you did nothing wrong. :)

No probs. takes 5 seconds..which makes me wonder..am I zipping them corretly? I'm just going to the c: windows\minidumps folder and then doing the zips.

Hope you can help. Really curious to hear your analysis. let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• Most recent 5.zip
    74.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Next most recent 5.zip
    108.7 KB · Views: 1
I reread your first post and I noted you ran memtest for 6 Passes with no errors. The minimum rule is 7 and the more the better because I have seen (and personally experienced) errors not occur as far as the 25th Pass. The reason I mention Memtest is because in your recent files two out of three (two were unreadable) specifically listed corrupted memory as the cause of your issues.

I would also strongly suggest you run it per stick after running it with all sticks installed.

I would also strongly suggest you run a full harddrive diagnostic. Find the make of your harddrive and use the manufacture's free harddrive diagnostic utility that you can get from their website. Make sure you not only do the short tests but especially the long one.

*** I really believe that this is not an OS or other software issue. Something hardware is malfunctioning.

I think the 6 passes alone was over 24 hours..is that how long it usually takes?

I will run the hard drive diag again ( i ran it a month ago, and it came up with an error but can't remember what it was..i think it was harddrive related though.)

24 hours?! How much RAM do you have installed? Do this: Find the manufacture's voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

By all means do the HD diagnosis again. Your hardrive may be of a concern.

only 3 gig. How long should these passes be taking? Just reread my post - i took 11 hours .d'oh! Is that about right..?

Hello everyone,

I'm new...
Thought I'd post here because I was having the exact same problem. In fact that's why I joined Techspot (to figure out what exactly was wrong).

Same kind of BSODs; completely random but playing a current generation game (Arkham Asylum, GRID) would guarantee a crash within an hour.

I am somewhat like you... I like fixing my own problems, plus I'm impatient. My temperatures were within limits, so I assumed it was the RAM and got myself 2 new corsair 2GB chips just to be sure.
The BSODs continued... :(

So it's not the RAM; the motherboard, Graphic card, and the PSU are brand new anyway. The only thing left was the processor, but they almost never go bad... or so I thought.

Analyzing my dumps told me that the crashes were totally random. Page faults, the irq_not_less_than_equal one, the driver_irq_not_less_than_equal one, and the bugcheck codes were pretty random too! Even the faulting processes were anything from ntoskrnl to npfs to my ati driver... just about anything!

The real clue was when one of the dumps was called corrupt by the debugger! Reading up on that told me that it could be a processor issue. So I borrowed a Xeon 3040 from a friend to test.

Well guess what... The BSODs have almost gone. At least I can work in peace now though the Xeon is painfully slow. I say 'almost' because I DID get 1 BSOD since I put the Xeon about a week back. My friend tells me that I could have mismatched timings, and that my old processor might not be at fault at all!

1. @pookgai: Humble suggestion - check your machine with a tested processor from a stable system.
2. @Route44: I need help. I want to get rid of the Xeon and get something faster. However, how can I make sure that it was a processor issue in the first place?! Can you help me check my ram timings or whatever else it might be? Should I post a new thread for that?

@pookgai: All the best man! These times are sooo frustrating! :(
@Route44: In case you find the time for this (and I would really grateful for that, believe me!) I've attached the last few minidumps. The latest file is the one that happened with the Xeon.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
@ pookgai - 11 hours sounds fine.

@ ishanaditya - since this is pokgai's thread please start your own (we don't want to hijack it) and I or someone else will be more than glad to read your dumps.

Sure thing!... I'll do just about anything to get my machine working... :blackeye:

I've started a new thread. Can't post the link; my post count is less than 5 :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back