Bsod: Page_fault_in_unpaged_area

daniel236

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP home edition. unfortunately it has the blue screen of death, the minidump says;

page_fault_in_unpaged_area

technical information:

*** stop:0x00000050 (0xC6D40000, 0x00000000, 0x804D9DA8, 0x00000000)

I cannot get onto safe mode, I have dusted the interior, restarted to factory conditions but I have not pulled out any interior components and i'm unsure what to do now i'm not a genius with computers so if you have any suggestions you'd have to talk to me like i'm five :)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

As soon as you switch on hit the F12 key and then select diagnostics and hit Enter. This should give some idea as to the fault which is most likely to be faulty memory. Check the results as the diagnostics progress.

Okay, I managed to do the diagnostics test. Here is what it said:

hard drive diagnostics running, please wait...
dirve 0: Maxtor 6Y168M8 - Fail. Return Code : ?
Drive 1: No device
Drive 2: No device
Drive 3: No device
Drive 4: TSST CD-RW/DVD-ROM TSH492B - Diagnostics not supported
Drive 5: No device

Test complete, press <ENTER> to reboot.

Any ideas about this? :p

OK, this looks like a possible problem with the hard drive. To be sure, run the hard drive diagnostics, as follows. As the diagnostics you have run indicate a Maxtor drive no need to remove it for identification. Go to the Seagate link and find the download for Seatools for DOS.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Please provide the model number of your drive if it is Toshiba Fujitsu for further instructions, this does not run on Windows 7.

Never mind, seatools opened up and started a test automatically. In the top box it said:

Model ID_______Serial number___Revision _____Test Progress

Maxtor 6Y160M0_Y46F9MRE_____YAR51HWO___ Idle

The second part said:

selcted drive information

device 0 is ATA Device Maxtor6Y160M0 Y46F9MRE On intel ICH6
max native adress 312699999
device is 48 bit adressed - number of LBAs 312499999 ( 160.000 GB )
this drive supports security features
SMART is supported and enabled
SMART has not been trippled
DST is supported
logging feature set is not supported
POH 56441

Test information and results
scanning for devices...
scanning for devices and generic PCI ATA...
scanning for devices on intel ICH6...
Detected one devices
device scan complete

Is this of any use, or have I done it totally wrong?

All you have done is boot from the disk and got the utility ready to run after it has detected your drive. At the top of the screen there are buttons for Basic Tests, Advanced Features, Help and Exit. Click on help and it will tell you what to do. Do not use anything under Advanced Features.

I have managed to run some tests unfortunately they gather over 40 errors and a message comes up saying:

please save this code if you are planning a warranty exchange. seagate product warranty status depends on how the product is sold. if your hard drive is a component in an OEN system, then the OEN covers the drive warranty.

Unfortunately, your seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostics test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data.

Repair was unsuccessful on the hard drive. For more information on this subject see our help topic 'bad sector found'.

I looked at this help topic but I didn't really understand what it was on about. Is there anything I can do now? or is my computer completely screwed?

Don't panic, your computer is OK it's just your hard drive that is in a bad way.

This routine might (that is a very Small might) get it going for a while so you can back up any important data.

With the PC booted as far as it will go Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD and reboot. Boot into the Bios set up and set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order, save and exit. When prompted to boot from the CD hit any key.(On a dual boot PC go to the Bios set up first even if the CD is already set to 1st, then hit the esc key).

The disc will run through a lot of files and then you will come to a screen "Welcome to Setup"

Press the "R" key. you will be asked which Operating System you wish to perform repairs on and to enter your password. If you do not use a password, after selecting the system to repair, hit the Enter key again.

This will now display the Command Prompt on the next line.

At the prompt type chkdsk /r exactly as typed here with the gap before the slash, then hit the Enter key. It will ask if you wish to run the routine on the next boot, answer 'y' hit Enter and exit. Reboot the PC and the utility will run. If you are very lucky it will repair the bad blocks and get a bit of life back in the system but no guarantee.

If it comes good, get a new drive as soon as possible as it probably won't be long before more errors occur.

Please ask for any further help you need.

So you're suggesting I buy a new hard drive? the only problem is I don't actually have or aren't aware of a windows xp disk in my possession. So is buying and installing a new hard drive a good idea?

All you need is a copy of XP that matches the version on your licence sticker, which you should find somewhere on the case of the PC. That will save you from having to buy a copy. All the drivers you need can be downloaded from the Dell sight and you will find an instruction manual for your PC that shows how to change the drive, it is only a matter of a few screws and a couple of plugs.

A new hard drive and a copy (if you have to buy one) of XP will be far cheaper than buying a new pc. Why should that not be a good idea?

You can run the utility as above without the disc, just tap the F8 key as soon as your switch the PC on and then select Command Prompt from the advanced boot menu, then follow the rest of the instructions.

Whatever you choose to do, next time round, when you have a new PC (or you repair this one) always make recovery discs if you do not have a copy of the Windows disc, then you can reinstall without a problem. If you do borrow a disc you can burn a copy of the image to keep for future use.

Back