BSOD possible RAM error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sora1607

Hi,
I've just recently built an I7 comp .. well last night and I've been getting BSOD's left and right. Well it's worth noting that I get BSOD when I use more than 1 stick of RAM and run intensive programs such as cod mw2. I tried running the game w/ 1 stick of RAM and it doesn't crash but more than one.. not so much. Ram's configuration has also been messed with many times. I tried setting it on auto, manually setting the correct timing, using XMP profile... no luck. Normal functioning like browsing doesn't give BSOD. Okay some BSOD's I've gotten are :
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
something service...
I only have 4 dump files so I'm gonna post them up right now... bluescreenview seems to show some similarity in four of them but I'm not that tech savvy so I can't really tell whether it's the RAMs that are at fault or my motherboard's DIMM slots

Specs:
I7-920
mushkin enhanced redline 6gb (2gb x 3)
hd 4850 512mb
750W PSU
Win 7 x64 ultimate edition

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    90.2 KB · Views: 2
Every one of those errors you list can all be caused by corrupted memory and the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is one of the strongest indicators that bad RAM is present.

Run the free and perfectly safe Memtest on your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Edit Update: Right after posting my response I went back and read your dumps. One is 0x4E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and the other is 0xA which can be caused by hardware. Both cited a Vista OS driver dxgmms1.sys as the cause of your issues. Now usually OS drivers are too general to be of much help but after researching it appears this driver can be cited when bad RAM is present. Also, your one error is 0x50 and that one specifically cited corrupted memory as your issue.

I ran memtest with 3 sticks last night for 9 hours. It was about 9 passes and there was no error. Should I go on and try to run each stick for the same length? I am now getting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD a lot when I play intensive games. Casual games that doesn't require a lot seems to run just fine. Could this be a problem with CPU?

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB. I've been talking to the tech support guy about the problem and he says it's probably the CPU or the mobo. I can try to run testing for each stick of RAM but is that necessary now that I ran all 3 of them for 9 passes

Okay, here is the thing to keep in mind about Asus boards. They make great products but they are quite well known about being very picky about the RAM that is installed in each and every model of motherboard they make.

Every board model has a recommended vendor list of RAM that is acceptable for said motherboard. In other words, is your particular Mushkin memory on the recommended list for your Asus P6x58d premium?

You need to find this out.

No it's not.... I guess that could be it ?

Yes; we've seen this happen many times. You could try the to do the following.

Go to your BIOS and check to see what the voltage setting is for your RAM and compare it to Mushkin's voltage specs. If there is a descrepency then set your RAM voltage manually to Mushkin's specs.

That might work. Keep us informed.

Mushkin's recommended voltage is 1.65V. Since I can't do 1.65 I've tried at 1.64 and 1.66. Neither has helped me get over the BSOD problems. And I'm still getting them
Thanks

Mushkin's recommended voltage is 1.65V. Since I can't do 1.65 I've tried at 1.64 and 1.66. Neither has helped me get over the BSOD problems. And I'm still getting them
Thanks

Sorry it didn't work. Let us know how you resolve this and what memory you might get. If you need any help let us know. Make sure of your motherboard's voltage capacity for setting RAM. There are some out there that are limited to one setting.

I'm ready to RMA but I don't know what to RMA is the point. I tried playing l4d2 and I turned down multicore rendering, the game ran fine. Turned it on, BSODed. I just really don't know what to RMA. I can't pinpoint the problem. The BSOD's lead to RAM issue but RAMs are fine when tested w/ memtest.

If the memory is not correct for your motherboard you will continue to have issues. I would say that with what we know start with the memory.

Have you checked system temps, cpu temps, video card temps? How is your air flow? Are all fans spinning?

All fans are spinning fine. Temp are within operable range. I think I have determined the problem. I followed a friend's advice and disabled paging file. No more crashes when I try to play game with it off. Does that give u any more ideas?

If it works and it doesn't BSOD anymore and your system works fine in all other aspects then I say let it go for the time being to see how it works out.

Here is what your 0x1A error code tells us: 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related. If this occurs while installing Windows, also check the Windows system requirements including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system.

* You still may have a memory issue but as I said let's see how it runs not only with games but other tasks as well.

The memory management error did not occur during Windows installation. It occurred while gaming. All of my BSOD's occurred when I tried intense gaming graphic wise. Anyways, I turned the paging file back on and things started to BSOD's again when I game. My friend said to manually set it up to 9gb (as opposed to 6gb automatic). When I did that and ran my game, weird textures appeared and screen was like rainbow color and a BSOD with some error in atikmdag.sys I'm taking this to be the graphic card's problem. Does that give u any idea of what's wrong? I'm gonna get my friend's card tmr and test my comp out with that
Thanks

Two things that seems to be arising here: Page File's correct setting for you and memory and now what you describe sounds like artifacting which can be a sign that either the graphics card is going or a heat issue with said card. Intensive gaming will put a load on the GPU.

I need to go to bed as it is 1:00 a.m. here. Let me say that you are doing good diagnostic work. If you have the time do a search for Page File and you will definitely see how this works with memory,

Thanks for your help. I ran furmark to test graphic card's stability and it seems fine. Peak temperature was about 75 degrees that doesn't seem too bad for a graphic card. No crashes either with Furmark. I tried both with Page file on, off, and manually set to 9gb. I'm getting a different card for testing today. I'll post back when I do so.

ATIKMdag error

Your ram can be perfect. Your video card can be perfect. But on Asus and Intel motherboards the ram must be in the list to run correctly, otherwise you will keep getting that frozen screen. (to bad they don't tell you that b4 you buy the components for your computer) It seems to only happen with dual and quad core.

However if you do not have the cash to spend on new ram right now, you can:

1. Go into the system configuration utility (Start menu then type "system configuration" in the search bar) and then
2. Choose the boot tab and then to advanced options.
3, Once there, you will see at the top, two boxes that you can check one is processor and the other is memory.
4. Check both of those and choose one processor and then the max amount of memory that is on your system.
5. Hit apply and ok. Restart your system and it should run quickly in 2d and 3d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back