BSOD, Stop: 0x0000007b

neilthrun

Hi,
Ive got a dell xps 1500 running windows xp with service pack 3.

I'm getting a BSOD withA the following error when I attempt to start windows.

STOP: 0x0000007B (oxF78A2524, 0x0000035, 0x000000000, 0x00000000)

Here's what I've done so far.
I rebooted in safe mode and did a Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. Malwarebytes found a file called trojan.dropper and Spybot found some random tracking cookies.

I rebooted this time not going into safe mode and got the same BSOD error above. I attempted rebooting in safe mode again and could no longer enter safe mode getting a nearly identical error.

STOP: 0x0000007B (oxBA4C7524, 0x0000035, 0x000000000, 0x00000000)

I've tried the option for booting with my last functioning settings and still get the first BSOD error above.

I then used a dust cleaner after disconecting the cpu.

I am able to get to the command promp via Windows Recovery Console. I ran a CHKDSK /P and it said it found one or more error. i then ran chckdsk /R and it did not mention any errors.

My thoughts on diagnossing the problem are two fold. I've been having computer speed issues and the fan has been excessively loud. This makes me think I may have overheated a component, and some the stickied FAQs lean towards that.

I had also just downloaded some files, and the trojan.dropper find in Spybot has me thinking it's related to that.

Any help you guys can give is much appreciated. I'll post whatever info you need, although I'm unsure how to get minidumps off the PC in question. Is there a way I can copy the file with in the command promp onto a floppy or USB flash drive? I might need some assistance navigating the command prompt. I generally fumnle my way through using alot of /?.

Thanks again

The bugcheck code indicates an inaccessible boot drive.

If you are able to get to a command prompt, try this
'cd C:\Windows\Minidump' to get to the minidumps folder.
'copy *.dmp E:\' (change to your USB drive letter).

Hope this helps.
CraniumRat

Yeah, I wasn't able to copy or access files via the recovery console. I ended up taking some steps on my own, and have things going in the right direction, but still need help.

I attempted using my XP install disc to repair my installation. This didn't work, i got errors about my NVDIA video card not passing windows logo testing, and wanted to know If I was alright with that. The mouse and keyboard stopped responding at this point. I found advice online suggesting to delete the nvida driver, and was able to enter the command prompt via shift f10, long story short I think I accidently deleted my entire driver folder because of command prompt incompetence. On trying the repair installation again, I get an error saying it couldn't find files on the installation CD and to direct its path, but yet again the mouse and keyboard freeze.

I decided to partition a new section on my hard drive and do a new install. This worked! I was able to get on my PC and copy some critical documents that I had placed directly in the , now old, partition's C:\ folder. Unfortunately the user data gives me an access denied. This is really my only hang up at this point. If I can get acess to My Documents and Desktop, I can retrieve everything I want and delete the malfunctioning OS.

How do I get acess to that user data? I have the password, so thats not a problem. Also, at this point I realize I may need to head to a different board, so Mods, feel free to have me repost elsewhere.

I answered my question regarding ownership of old partition user data. I don't think I need any more help here! I should have just been more patient, before posting I suppose.

Back