BSOD virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently built a computer about one month ago. And now about a week ago I get BSOD anytime I start a game and sometimes as I log onto my profile in XP. I've reinstalled XP twice and did a system restore to before the time the BSOD's started poping up. I seem to get 0x0000008e 0x00000050 0x000000a a lot but i've gotten others like 0x000000e3. I have no idea what to do. I thought it was ram but i took my old ram back and put in new ram and still got the same problem. McAfee and Windows one care both dont detect any viruses but every time I run a scan I get a BSOD which leads me to think a virus. The only time I completed a scan was in safe mode. I'm a hardware guy not a software guy so please help me out and make it as simple as possible. I don't want to lose my $1400 system already.

It's usually old drivers related, and most likely video drivers (or possibly sound)

Try updating all your drivers to the current versions.

Also it is possible that McAfee has some type of corruption
It would be ideal to uninstall it fully, then try your game out (without it installed)

Then re-install McAfee again, and try again.

If you still have problems post the latest Minidump from c:\windows\minidump
(But only if you have completed the above first)

The problem began occuring before I had McAfee so I don't think it's that, although I did as you said and it still happened. I've downloaded the latest drivers for my video card and I do not have a sound card. Still I get the BSOD's. Just recently during the POST when I was starting up my computer the BSOD said that I should update my BIOS. Could that be the problem? I did just buy this motherboard and I think it would come with the latest version already but I'll try that anyway. Here is the last minidump that you requested. Thank you for your help so far I really don't know where to turn and the Geek "rip off people for all their money" Squad is kinda of out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back