BSOD when updating QuickBooks software

CCClay

Please advise how to boot computer when screen is blue. F8 doesn't work.

I plugged in an external hard drive to my laptop to back up files when QuickBooks prompted an update. I began the update and walked away for a short time. When I came back the screen was black and computer did not wake up. Thinking the batteries were needing a charge I plugged it in. The computer's logo came up followed by a blue screen. I pressed escape and the insydeh20 setup utility menu comes up.

Please advise

2 yr old
Acer Aspire E1-572-6484
i3-4010u

Thank you
Colleen

Update : Alt + f10 moved it to a system restore and gave me a choice to keep files or revert to original and dump all.

I chose to keep files.
Next it will allow me to restore with a system disk, (which I don't have) or attempt to boot.
With out disks.
I will attempt a safe boot mode.

Note: It crashed due to a failure to verify a digital signature on a file. I took a screenshot to remember the file info.

Any technical advice is welcome. I'm a Potter not a tech.
Thank you

Find the event viewer ( EVENTVWR.MSC), look under Applications first and then System to find events tagged as ERROR events.
Copy & Paste 2 or 3 in your follow-up

This one may be of of my league, but I would like some more detail..

"Note: It crashed due to a failure to verify a digital signature on a file. I took a screenshot to remember the file info. "

Was this the result of the Safe Mode boot?

Can you make the screenshot file available for viewing by using the 'image' button on the forum post taskbar?

Will not go to safe boot mode. Currently running Windows memory diagnostic tool. No problems so far. Tried to upload a pic and can't make it smaller

It said: a recent Hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. If you have a Windows installation disc insert the disc and restart your computer. Click repair your computer, then choose a recovery tool. Otherwise, to start Windows you can investigate further, press the enter key to display the boot menu press f8 for advanced boot options and select last known good if you understand why the digital signature cannot be verified and want to start Windows without this file, temporarily disable driver signature enforcement file\Windows\system32\winload.efi
Info: the digital signature for this file couldn't be verified

I'm struggling now and completely stuck

FIRST; login as Admin and then run SFC /SCANNOW
that should run to completion w/o errors
THEN try the recommended
start Windows you can investigate further, press the enter key to display the boot menu press f8 for advanced boot options and select last known good if you understand why the digital signature cannot be verified and want to start Windows without this file,
  • temporarily disable driver signature enforcement file\Windows\system32\winload.efi

FIRST; login as Admin and then run SFC /SCANNOW
that should run to completion w/o errors
THEN try the recommended
start Windows you can investigate further, press the enter key to display the boot menu press f8 for advanced boot options and select last known good if you understand why the digital signature cannot be verified and want to start Windows without this file,
  • temporarily disable driver signature enforcement file\Windows\system32\winload.efi
How can I get past the black screen with this message and to a place to login?

Computer wouldn't boot. The update that was the problem re configured to boot in U EFI this was changed and it booted normally.

Unfortunately an unnecessary system restore was preformed. By me. I learned this when I took the machine to Milwaukee PC.

I will, in the future, take my machine there before attempting any of this. They were very helpful and got my machine on track. I'll have them do a diagnostic to see if I need a new hard drive and if my external hard drive got corrupted in this situation.

Back