BSOD when using terminal emulator via USB-to-serial adapter

I am a student and I recently started having BSOD issues when using a terminal emulator (PuTTY) to run CCNA labs. I am using a USB-to-Serial adapter by Prolific. I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers for this adapter numerous times without any resolution to the issue. I have ensured that the drivers for the adapter were up to date, and I am using the latest version of PuTTY, even thought it does not appear to be the application itself. I am able to use the program for a period of time and then when when I issue certain commands, such as write or ping, I get a BSOD.

I am hoping that someone can help me figure out why these are occurring, and how I can correct them. Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Attachments

• DumpFiles.zip
    65.7 KB · Views: 1
Ser2pl.sys is the offending driver. As you can guess, your Prolific USB-to-Serial adapter uses the driver. See if Prolific has and updated driver for your operating system (Windows 7?)

I'm still using Windows Vista. I downloaded and installed the most recent driver version from the manufacturer, but the problem still exists. I took the liberty to download the cable test program from the manufacturer as well. According to the test, I'm failing the BaudRate. It is set to the default 9600 bps. I'm starting to think I just need to get a different adapter which comes with a different set of drivers.

Odd way to post a message Jimmytech... Have you thought about a power issue on the USB ports or finding another USB to Serial adapter to try?

Back