BSOD while playing guild wars 2. It´s been going on for 6 months

vasco

Hi all of you cyber friends, my first post here in the forum, so forgive me if I make any mistake.

So let´s get started, six months ago (christmas time) I bought a kickass gaming desktop computer, here are the specs:

-Windows 7 ultimate edition (64 bits)
-1 stick of corsair vengeance red 8gb RAM
-A Nvidia GTX 660 with 2GB DDR5
-Intel i5-4570 CPU quad-core 3.2 GHz (no overclock)
-Asus motherboard H87M-E (with the lastest BIOS update from the ASUS oficial website, update number 2004)
-Corsair VS 550 W PSU
-500 GB hard drive (sorry cant really dig into more specific information but if you guys need it, please let me know)

(I have a attached file from Windows dxdiag if you guys need more information)

So since iam a guild wars 2 fanboy and I´ve been waited for 3/4 years it´s release, I went to a computer store and bought all those parts and payed them to built the computer to play my favorite game. Anyways when I get home, I install the game and I start playing it from the first time and then my computer suddenly shuts down.... it reboots by itself and says that ASUS anti-surge system was triggered to protect my computer from unstable power supply unit..... so well I naturally tried it a few more times during the course of a couple of weeks to see if the error persisted and it did I tried changing the electric socket at first but it didnt did much , so I went to the store and I bought a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) which I was told would protect my computer from anti-surge issues as well as give me some battery when the power shuts down. No kidding the error persisted and, after lots of weeks searching on the internet I finally decided to disable the anti-surge protection from my motherboard. It went good for a month or two with no BSOD´s or freezes or anti-surge errors, until I got a error from windows saying that my hard drive is on the eminent risk of failing and that I should replace the disk immediately, tired of all this crap with my computer I went to the store and told them what was happening and they replaced my hard drive with a new one of the same size, and naturally I installed everything all over again and did everything the same I did before I guess.... (this includes the disabling of anti-surge feature on my motherboard) and after I launch guildwars 2 for 30-45 minutes of playing a wild BSOD appears on front of me.Always with a different BCcode. Also I´ve tried googling all those different BCcodes and correct them which I think I did with sucess (otherwise it wouldnt show me other´s BCcodes, right?) but a new error code keeps coming up. I´m desperate guys.

Also I´ve read this: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/before-posting-your-minidumps-please-read-this.51365/ and I run memtest on my computer and it showed no errors and I also did the pagefile thing with no results.

Best regards, and sorry about the long text, and forgive any grammatical errors.

Attachments

• Computer specs from dxdiag.txt
    24.8 KB · Views: 4
See if there are any minidumps that you didn't post. Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files. Right-click sending them to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload this folder as a file here

First of all, iam really thankful for your reply and for the fast response even though I was in school and only saw your post now.

Minidumps? sure I will upload them here.

Also I tried to open those minidumps files with notepad (I run it as administrator) to see it for myself but it only appeared weird characters.... I´m assuming you need some kind of additional software to view it properly?

Once again thank you and best regards.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    117 KB · Views: 6
A driver for a Atheros OTUS Network Adapter is being flagged for a possible problem. Also, this could be caused by a dying hard drive. Your bios is quite old if they are tagged as 2004, but this may only be a version number

Nooo the 2004 is the version number not the release date hahaha, its the latest by the way, and im going to check if the problem is from the atheros driver problem first because my new disk is not even a month old, how can it be dying?

Thank you a lot, I will do it and post here the results, hope I have time to do it today.

What is the make and model of the hard drive. It could just be that the Windows blue screens are causing hard drive data corruption...

Ok that drive is my only way to connect to the internet, but I was searching and found a old one that will serve me for some time until I buy a new one or even replace it from the buggy, BSOD giver USB wirless card... and the information about the hard drive is:

wdc wd5000aakx-001cao ata device, 500GB, 720 RPM

I guess it´s supposed to be a pretty solid disk right? Do you need more info? sorry that was the only one I could find with the windows tools....

Since I will be changing USB I wont be online for a few minutes

Once again thank you a lot for your time

Ok it´s done I`ve changed the wireless adapters and I will run the game to see what happens, I will keep posting news, also do you think I should buy a new PSU? and what do you think about the ASUS anti-surge system? should I enable it? Sorry if `am pushing it or something, it´s just no one ever talks to me about this because all my friends are complete nubs, so I don`t really have stimulating talks xD

Just see how things go for now... Western Digital drives come in three label colors, Green, Blue and Black. Black is the best, Blue and Green not so good

Ahhhhhhhhh dammit mine had to be the blue one..... Ok ok. I will. thank you for everything I will play the game and post here if iam able to play without problems or if the problems persist.

Thank you and best regards

Ok new update, I was playing gw2 and suddenly the game (I play in full screen) closed itself, like someone else had pressed Alt+F4 and it returned to my desktop environment and everything appeared to be normal, I also noticed the windows 7 color scheme changed to basic instead of the normal one I use, and 30 seconds (or less) after that all happens the computer reboots automatically, basically like an BSOD . I was furious. I turned on the computer and when I logged in I saw an error "Windows just recovered from an unexpected error" exactly like a BSOD but without the blue screen and the white letters, and without the death scare you get when you see one. (BTW the BCcode is f4 and I will attach the windows report of the BSOD here to see if it has some usefull information, I will also attach the last minidump )

So I guess something changed which is always good, because it may give us clues on where`s the problem

Thank you for your patience and precious time you are wasting with me.

Kind regards

Attachments

• windows BSOD.zip
    601 bytes · Views: 4
  • Latest minidump (i believe).zip
    25.5 KB · Views: 5
Ahhhh dammit (trying to avoid the F-word)........ so I get a new hard drive from western digital but this time I chose the "Black" version right? also what could possibly ruined the hard drive? can it have something to do with Anti-surge system from ASUS? And should I start another thread for this ?

Thank you for your time, you are the only that is answering my thread xD

"Can it have something to do with Anti-surge system from ASUS?... Maybe, the anti-surge is limiting the power to the hard drive and the CPU. Can you disable or turn it off to check?

Ok ok.... I tried with the Anti-surge on and off and when it´s ON no BSOD but my computer reboots and then shows me a menu related to the american megatrends and asks me to enter the BIOS saying that the ASUS anti-surge system was triggered because it detected surges and shut the computer down to prevent damage ( http://img.tapatalk.com/728f30ee-51d1-0c97.jpg image describing what I see when it happens). And when it´s off I just get a BSOD like I described earlier. Also I noted that when I have it turned ON the message saying the surge happened takes significantly less time to show than when I have it turned OFF which is when the BSOD happens.....for example when it´s ON I can play 15 min, but when it´s off I can play for 30 min, see what I mean?

One more time Thank you and best regards

Really ?! ok ok thank you for everything..... By the way can you recommend a power supply for my system? or should I just buy the same model? and I still have to get a new hard drive, "black" edition right?

Also I`ve been digging and I found out that I have no electrical grounding installed in my room, and from what I`ve read, it can cause electrical surges from the type that can ruin my computer, is that correct?

Thank you for everything and best regards

The hard drive may be okay. No electrical grounding? What World area do you live in? This "no grounding" can be extra tough on power supplies, and a surge protector needs a good ground to even work. If the new power supply eventually shows the same problem, you'll have to have someone come over and fix the power in your home

I live in Europe, well Portugal....... ok I will try to fix the grounding problem first..... just so I know how much does it cost? a general price? Can I do it by myself?

I'm in the USA so I have no idea how to contact the proper people in your country. Here we call these people electricians...

Corsair is a good brand here in the US, so I would say maybe go up to 650 watts or higher for your kickass gaming desktop computer

Hahahhahaha I got it bro xD my kickass gaming desktop computer :p

So a corsair CX 650 W should be enough right?

Back