BSOD with 2142

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarononline

I have an issue that seems to be come and go without any real reason for it.

Some days I play Battlefield 2142 for hours and nothing happens but, alot of the time, it will lock up for a second and then I get the dreaded BSOD. It is nausiating since I cannot figure out why and the reasons it gives me means little to nothing to me in the way of helping me solve the issue.

The latest reason I recieved had this information :

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 81FD55A8
BCP3: 89267B9C
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini072408-01.dmp
C:\Users\Krenz Family\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-18500-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Krenz Family\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7B3A.tmp.version.txt

I looked where it said the files that would help describe it were located and, not shockingly, those files were not present (yes, I have "show hidden files" selected)

I run Windows Vista Home Basic on a Gigabyte mobo, AMD X2 5000+ BE processor, 4 Gb of ram, NVidia 8600 GT XXX Edition video card.

Is there any test I can run to look for errors or something that would help me figure this all out ?

I'm not an expert buddy, but my best guess would be to update all drivers and try again...

I think Vista could be an issue...I had a problem with starcraft crashing on my sister's desktop and I changed the visual appearance to windows classic and that solved my problem, it could be the Vista Aero function that is screwing with you.

Hmm, I will see what I can do.. it is just an odd thing.. some days it will go all day without a single crash and let me play for hours... other days it crashes after about 10 minutes every time I get into a game... odd !!

I redid my graphic drivers (deleted and reinstalled) and played a few rounds but I doubt this is a cure and I am sure I will be frustrated once more.

0x8E errors are almost always Hardware errors, most notably RAM is the main cause.
Try running Memtest86 for 3-5 hours (Minimum Of 7 Passes) or Overnight which would be better.

Download the Memtest pre-built ISO from the link below and burn it onto a CD using ISO Recorder (V3 for Windows Vista) also on a link below. Then boot off the CD and let the test take over. If it lists any errors in the test you need to buy new RAM.

Memtest86 - http://www.memtest.org/
ISO Recorder - http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Thank you very much... hopefully that is not it since I just bought the RAM back in April I believe... heck, the only "old" thing in my pc is the video card (everything else was new as of March/April) and that was bought last October or November...

Such is the world of computers ! I will post back after I run everything and let you know what I find out.

Well the memory checked out good (thank God)... got another error while playing the game this morning... this one make any more sense ?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: BF2142.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 471f3744
Fault Module Name: StackHash_bb82
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: bb82
Additional Information 2: 78507d732a375e195cd7886bc443da70
Additional Information 3: 2481
Additional Information 4: 61438663de04930ceb762a90cef881b7

0xC5 errors are caused by faulty drivers which have corrupted the system pool, basically if you have installed new software make sure it is up to date in this case install any game updates for Battlefield and check for updated device drivers for your Graphics card.
Also try a full virus scan as well.

Well, the past few days have been smooth. I believe the issue to be related to graphics drivers by Nvidia and Windows Vista having a sparring match.

I deleted the drivers for Nvidia and downloaded the Nvidia drivers created by Omega and it has been running very well since. Of course, I have not had a hardcore gaming session since but I will give it a workout ASAP and will probably make a final progress report on it by the end of the week.

Well, for now I guess we shall have to call this closed.

I have tried a few different resolutions and video settings from low to high and it seems to have been cured by the Omega drivers for NVidia instead of using the NVidia drivers themselves. Of course, now that I post this something will happen hahaha but nothing I can do about all that.

Thank you all for your help and I will be sure to drop back in should anything arrise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back