BSODs about to make me go crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

skullo

Hello everyone,

I have a pc that's about a year and half old. You can see its specs in my profile. I've had problems with it before, which I was able to fix... until recently, when it started giving me blue screens I couldn't even fix by buying a new pair of rams.

The error codes vary, but it's almost always memory related (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA etc). Reinstalling Windows 7 (RC1, 32bit or 64bit), formatting, buying new pair of rams (I had 4x1 Crucial Ballistix 1066 before) did not fix it.

The latest BSOD was win32k.sys (0x00000050), happened while watching a TV show on Media Player.

Now I have tried to analyze the minidump but since I don't have any experience with debugging, I failed :p So I've uploaded the minidump (and analysis of it for your convenience)

Now I don't know how to fix it, and I don't know what else is relevant to the problem.

Could you help me out? I am about to go nuts.

Memory Management errors (0x1A) are usually hardware related.

Your minidump error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and results because requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

It only cited hardware as the cause and nothing else.

Your motherboard is made by Asus, correct?

Memory Management errors (0x1A) are usually hardware related.

Your minidump error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and results because requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

It only cited hardware as the cause and nothing else.

Your motherboard is made by Asus, correct?

That is correct. However, I have run every memory test and benchmark known to man and neither ramsticks nor VIDEO RAMS (according to OCCTPT) are faulty.

skullo, snowchick7669, I am also wondering if the voltage is set correctly for his RAM especially since it is an Asus board and Asus boards can be real picky about RAM.

We've seen a number of people here lately whose memory issues weren't corrupted RAM but voltage settings that had to be set manually because the auto setting was wrong.

skullo, snowchick7669, I am also wondering if the voltage is set correctly for his RAM especially since it is an Asus board and Asus boards can be real picky about RAM.

We've seen a number of people here lately whose memory issues weren't corrupted RAM but voltage settings that had to be set manually because the auto setting was wrong.

I have tried different timings (4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-15, 5-5-5-18) with different voltages (1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2) and none of it seemed to help. Should I try 5-5-5-18 at 1.8v (it's what CPU-Z SPD tab suggests) @ 400MHz?

I would set the timings at stock and voltage at stock. If so, are you still getting issues?

Two more BSODs, minidumps attached.

What I realised is that programs start to quit with an error saying memory could not be read, then the bluescreen comes.

I'm at a loss. The PC has worked almost flawlessly for two days, now this...

I've swapped the 4gb corsair out and put 2gb crucial ballistix in. Wonder what will happen now..
So I'm running Windows 7 x64 on 2gb, lol.

I read both and they are the same 0x1A errors but this time they only cited Windows OS drivers which are too general to be of much help.

Is your Vista OS 32-bit or 64-bit?

skullo,
From one perspective it does looks like an hardware problem. I can try and help you to analyze your probem deeper but mini-dump wouldn't help much here.

If you do want my deep analysis I would have to get a Kernel dump instead of a minidump. Kernel dumps are much largers so you would have to find a way to upload it and provide me a link to download.

How to make a kernel dump :
Go to control panel -> System -> Choose Advanced tab.
Under "Startup and Recovery" press the Settings button.
Under System failure -> Write debugging Information -> Choose Kernel Dump.

You should notice the directory it choose to dump the file. By default it should be dumped at \Windows\memory.dmp file.

When you finish setting up the kernel dump, just wait for next BSOD. this time it will take much longer to create the dump. When the dump will be created, log in back to your machine. Zip the memory.dmp file and just send it over somehow.

Memory Managment problems may happen from faulty drivers that courrpt the memory structure. What I will try to find is some evidence that a driver did courrpt it and it was not the memory/hardware fault.

Good luck,
EZ123

Thank you both for your help offer, but since I swapped out the 2x2gb Corsair rams for 2x1 Crucial Ballistix, I haven't had a single application error OR blue screen.

Route44: 64bit Windows 7.

EZ123: Do you want me to put the rams back in and get you a kernel dump of the blue screen so you can tell me if it's hardware related (which I am about 90% sure now, 'cause I haven't had any problems since they're out)?

Thanks.

skullo, it has not been uncommon here for us to see people running a 64-bit OS and have issues with the 2x2 RAM sticks and only gain stability by doing what you have done. It could be the motherboard itself and BIOS. Not that it is bad in itself but according to the memory configuration it may have issues. Just pondering here...

Perhaps EZ123 can shed light on this and give suggestions on how to run with 4 gigs of memory. Corsair is a good brand.

skullo,
If your machine is in a working/stable state I would recommend it to keep the current configuration. If you still want to make sure and understand the cause of the previous problem, you are welcome to take the kernel dump with your 4 gigs in place.

Try work with your machine and confirm it is stable. I do hope it will stay this way.

EZ

Route44: Thank you so much for your help all along. I was not aware of such a problem.

EZ123: Yes, that seems to be the logical thing to do. I will keep the current configuration with 2gbs of ram, but when/if I crash, I will be posting the kernel dump. Thank you very much for your help.

Well, I have changed the option to dump from Kernel Memory Dump to Complete Memory Dump, but the file is still about 250KBs. It did take longer to write the dump file, but the file size was about the same. What am I doing wrong?

dump.jpg

I have attached it nonetheless.

By the way, I am now 100% sure that the problem occurs when I plug in the 2x2gb Corsair rams.

Another thing: there is no memory.dmp file in Windows folder :(

You should keep it on kernel dump and NOT complete dump. On the screen you have just taken a screen shot you should see where is the location the dump is writen. Verify that you do have memory.dmp file over that location. If not, do a windows search for a memory.dmp file.

But, if you do find out the 2x2gb is the issue. You can just let it go :)

EZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back