BSoD's and FS9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a problem with BSoD's and cannot get to the bottom of it (nor can local PC shop)
Spec is as follows:
Medion 5030 Intel Pentium 3.2
512Mb RAM
Win XP Home Edition SP2
256Mb nVidia GeForce 5200
Netgear DG834G ADSL Router
BT/Yahoo Broadband
McAfee AntiVirus Online and Firewall
There are 3 partitions C, D, E, XP is in C
I run Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9)plus many add-ons (not now!) in D.
The problem started with my beloved Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. Now I have used this no problems for 16 months, and it only seems to crash in FS9 and now when performing a test the PC boots up three or four times in succession. Yes FS9 is "heavy" graphically with all the add-ons but I have run extensive tests and to no avail. It started in January and I have formatted partition C and re-installed XP. exhausted my options and don't know what to do.
* Hardrive checked - OK
* RAM checked - OK
* Motherboard - new in Oct 2005
* McAffee Online - reckons no virus
* System Mechanic 5 - checked registry and defrag
Maybe there is a possibility of memory leak? How do you check this? I can send some minidump files (I can't decipher them)

Tim

your minidumps indicate a hardware compatibility issue. Update your drivers and/or BIOS and verify your system can handle all your components. Specifically your graphics drivers are probably at fault and are probably not at the correct Direct X version.

Thanks for replying. Oddly PC only produces BSoD when running FS9 so maybe this a hardware issue specificly with graphics card? Just to add that the latest nVidia driver is not compatible with FS9 so I have to use an earlier version. Please note this has worked fine for 16 months up until January of this year. You mention updating BIOS? How do you do this? Thanks again

Tim

Can't defrag partition C without BSoD. But where is the conflict? Also, ran PowerFan Prog and temperature is 37-38C and 49-50C respectively, but not sure how to decipher voltages figures. Still not sure about BIOS upgrade

Tim

Still have problems, though I have re-installed and updated BIOS. Motherboard is ASRock P4VM800; Prescott 800; DDR400. I also updated BIOS from P1.0 to P1.5. After much reading of forums, I am thinking its a graphics card problem. I have a nVidia GeForce 256Mb 5200. But, I don't have a spare card to test this theory. Is there a way of disabling card and still running FS9? Thanks

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back