BSODs on startup, GTX 460

A few weeks ago I got a new computer with a palit gtx 460 1gb and it has been working extremely well until it crashed while playing Empire total war. I restarted it and got another blue screen before the windows login screen. When i boot it in safe mode I get the standard ''windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown'' message with this information
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800A6A94E0
BCP2: FFFFF88004921A74
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

I uninstalled the drivers and installed the latest ones from the Nvidia website. This didn't fix the problem. So now I am wondering if this is a hardware issue and not a software issue. Unfortunately I do not have a spare card or another desktop to see if the card works in another computer or if a different card would work in this computer.

I am wondering if i need to buy a new card or whether there is something I am not doing right.

Any help would be appreciated my specs are

windows 7 home premium
intel core 2 quad q8400 2.66ghz
8gig ram
palit gtx 460 1gig
500 watt psu 12v 18A rail

0x116 errors are due to video driver timeout. We suggest you do the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

thank you for the help. Unfortunately after doing everything you posted, on startup i still recieved the same blue screen error. After restarting again I didn't even get the blue screen but instead i got a white screen with flickering coloured lines running across it before the computer shut itself down again

Back