Build/Rebuild 2 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

So I am upgrading my current computer and rebuiding another one. Just wanted to post the 2 builds here and make sure everything was going to work together.

Chaos1 (my computer)
Case:
RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Will order

MoBo:
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Will order

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Will order

RAM:
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memor - Will order

HDD:
500gig Samsung - Already Have

Power Supply:
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply - Already have

Video Card:
EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Already Have

DVD Drive:
LG DVD Burner - Already Have
-----
Second Computer
Case:
RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WR Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Already have, and like it pretty good cooling.

MoBo:
GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3G LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard- I believe this is the one I already have. Already in the red case listed for this machine.

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Again I pretty sure this is the one I have or damn close. Its currently installed in the above MoBo and running just fine.

RAM:
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
- Already have and installed into the above Mobo. Runs fine.
HDD:

Power Supply:
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Pretty sure this is the power supply I have right now. Might stick with this one get a bigger one if you guys thing it doesnt have enough juice. Other option I was looking at was:

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply Although It is the same wattage output. ./shrug

Video Card:
EVGA 256-P2-N429-LR GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - I already have this card running in the machine this build will replace, but it runs REALY hot. Had to rig up a fan to blow right on it. Thinking I will replace this one. . Don't need something with as much kick as is going into the other computer tho, something in the $50-$75 Range if someone could recommend a good card.

DVD Drive:
LG DVD Burner - Already Have
-----

So basically what I'm doing is the computer my gf currently is using is taking a crap. It went thru a house fire, I think its time to replace. I have some extra money, so while I'm at it I'm going to upgrade my computer, and use the old parts from my computer to build the new one, and end up with 2 good machines. Or at least that's the plan. Thats why I have some of the parts already.

As for my current build I should be listed in my profile as the first computer in there. Second one is the house fire survivor emachine that my gf uses.

So since I am not a Tech Guru god like some of the people on this forum, I have post the two builds here, in hopes of getting some pointers if need and pointing out any flaws in my plan.

Thanks in advance for any helps

Should work without issues. And stick with the Antec PSU, unless it is more than two years old.

As for a video card in that price range, I recommend the HD 4550.

I like your name. Were you named after my first wife?

We are no longer fans of the Antec power supplies because we have seen high numbers of failures in many of their 450 watt plus models over the past nine months.

Consider a Seasonic, FSP Group, OCZ, Sparkle, or Corsair to name a few.

I like your name. Were you named after my first wife?

We are no longer fans of the Antec power supplies because we have seen high numbers of failures in many of their 450 watt plus models over the past nine months.

Consider a Seasonic, FSP Group, OCZ, Sparkle, or Corsair to name a few.

Ok I can take the Antec power supply back to the store where I got it w/o a problem.

Another questions, the hdd that is going in the second computer is IDE not SATA. That should still work on that Mobo correct?

As for my name, I got it from a stupid book I had to read in 9th grade. It described a section of rapids as "a twisting maelstrom of tortured chaos" I thought it was such a cool expresion I have been using as a user name for 6 or 7 years now.

If the board has EIDE ports for the ribbon cable, you can use it. But that board is designed to take up to 6 SATA hard drives, so you need to trade up to the SATA... which are actually often cheaper nowadays.

Really raybay? AFAIK, the StealthXStream and BP500U are the exact same PSU with the same internals and OEM. Do you know otherwise?

If the board has EIDE ports for the ribbon cable, you can use it. But that board is designed to take up to 6 SATA hard drives, so you need to trade up to the SATA... which are actually often cheaper nowadays.

Yah I know i need trade up to SATA hdd, but I already have a 200 gig EIDE driver that works fine, that was free. So for now im sticking with it.

Also i looks like I wont be getting the Gigabyte Mobo, Newegg stopped carring it.

Think I will go with this one instead:

ASUS P5Q SE/R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Looks to be about on par with the Gigabyte board, maybe a bit better.

EDIT:

Actually thinking I will go with this Mobo

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

I have like Gigabyte for all the computers I have build hasn't let me down so far!

Here is the link to my Newegg wishlist for the parts I will be ordering soon. Possibly Tonight!

I like Gigabyte boards too. They are generally feature rich. I also like the case you picked although cases are often a matter of taste. One thing about the case. If you are planning to use the 9800 GT in the Raidmax case, it will fit but it will be tight. You might not be able to place a hard drive near the end of the graphics card due to the lack of room.

I like Gigabyte boards too. They are generally feature rich. I also like the case you picked although cases are often a matter of taste. One thing about the case. If you are planning to use the 9800 GT in the Raidmax case, it will fit but it will be tight. You might not be able to place a hard drive near the end of the graphics card due to the lack of room.

Actually i have that 9800 GT in the red Raidmax case right now, and it fits just fine, but it does make it so that 2 of the HDD bays aren't very usable. But it does have something like 5 bays in it so its not too big of a deal.

But yah that 9800 GT is a really long card :p

I've seen very good things from the ASUS boards too (all 3 of the custom build machines at work run them nicely) But I like the number of USB on the Gibabyte board, always seem to be out of USB ports, and the Firewire is nice, since I can plug my external HDD into that.

Well I have both machines assembled and have been running them for 2 weeks now w/o any problems. I ended up keeping the GeForce 7200 in the second computer, and with the different case it runs a at much more reasonable temp., around 55-60c. But it definitely doesn't have as much go juice as I would like, so I may still upgrade the card to something on par with whats in the other machine if I find on for a good price at some point.

Next thing I want to get is either a TV Tuner card for my computer or a new monitor. Tired of the 2 19" CRT I salvaged from the dump :p.
Or i guess a new desk. Tired of listening to my girlfriend complain about the small desk she has to use :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back