Building a new computer for $1000, looking for best possible build

natemon343

Hey guys so here’s the situation. I have done a bit of research but have been told by many people that creating my own post would give me the best results. So any suggestions would be extremely nice. Any who getting back to the point, my dad got me some cheap Dell pc for like 300 bucks a few years ago before I started pushing my computers limits. In the last year I started gaming at ton, started using video editing programs like Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects, started using AutoCAD Architecture and Inventor. I also got an ATI Radeon 4670 a few months ago because I got into more advanced 3d modeling and also so Minecraft would run faster, but after about two weeks my PCU messed up and would no longer support the graphics card. So now my computer sucks with games and my 3d stuff so I’m building a computer. I want to try and stay under 1000 bucks but if I need to I can go up another 200 bucks if it makes that big of a difference.

I’m deciding to build my own computer because I want a faster, more powerful computer that I know will work great for my projects on it. I’m new to building computer but I get how they are setup. I not sure about it but I read on another post that more RAM will help me with my 3d modeling speed. So I want to at least have 8 gigs of RAM.

I have not bought any parts yet and don’t plan on using any old parts. I don’t know if any extra cooling fans or water cooling is necessary but if so I will definitely buy one. One thing I don’t know much about is 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems. I currently have windows 7, 32 bit, but can easily get a 64 bit version if it’s better. I already have a keyboard, mouse, and an okay monitor. I don’t think I need a new monitor but I can always get a new one at a later time so suggestions would still be nice. I will most definitely be buying all parts off the internet so finding pieces won’t be a problem.

Good!

So you've made the decision of building your own computer. GOOD FOR YOU! :grinthumb

Now, before anything i'd like to let you know that building a PC is more of an opinion thing.. I'm pretty sure spending 1000 Dollars is already going WAY over what you really need. So i'm going to provide you with my opinionated choice.

First off, i'm buying everything off of newegg which i dont get charged taxes for.

I've got an ASUS M4N98TD Motherboard,
An AMD phenom 2 X6 overclocked to 3.8ghz (Bought it at 2.8Ghz)
i've got 6GB of G-Skill Ram DDR3

and Two XFX HD 6950 1GB GDDR5 Video Cards

I built all of this (Including case and peripherals) For under $850.

But i could have done cheaper. For instance, i did not need Two Video cards, and i did not need a hexacore a quad core would have been fine. But i've got Six Screens to power Crysis 2 on and Garrys mod, and i am ONE happy Camper.

Just make sure, that what you buy is a good investment for the future, Reason i also Picked Hexacore, is so i dont have to change the computer for another 10 years hopefully.

Thanks a lot for the info. I thought that 1000 dollars seemed a little much but that how much i'm willing to spend. Im sure theres probably not that big of a difference but i might as well ask it but is there a huge difference between 6gb or RAM compared to 8gigs

Depends on the Operating System, 32bit Operating systems have a limitation of 4GB. There is a possibility of adding more, but it can only read up to 4GB of Random Access Memory. If you go for a 64bit you will notice a significant difference in speed between 4GB and 6GB and 8GB. But then again, its for what you plan on using the computer for. So simply, Yes there is a difference in speed between 6GB and 8GB, Just not enough to establish a "WOW" factor. If you want WOW factor, Overclock your CPU and Get 12 + Gbs of Ram.

DO NOT go for AMD at this time. The AM3 socket (current motherboards) are at the end of their lifespan, as next gen AMD processors will require AM3+ motherboards which are not even currently available.

Intel's "Sandy Bridge" LGA1155 CPUs are THE way to go right now...bar none! Even the cheapest i3 2100 for $120 outpaces the Phenom II X6 1100 @ over $230!

You have a very nice budget bracket. This is what I would recommend as a baseline:

Motherboards:
Asus/Gigabyte LGA1155 Motherboard. Asus and GB are both great brands, with great quality. You basically have two options with the LGA1155 platform as far as chipsets: H67 and P67. P67 is more geared for gaming (has high performance features), while H67 can make use of the Intel integrated graphics. You probably want to stick with P67. Do your research.
Some nice models: Asus P8P67-M PRO or Gigabyte P67A-UD#-B3 lineup.
NOTE: ONLY BUY MOTHERBOARDS MARKED AS HAVING THE B3 REVISION! REGARDLESS OF MANUFACTURER, YOU WANT A B3 BOARD AS THEY FIXED THE INTEL SATA ISSUE FROM A MONTH BACK.

CPU:
i3 2100 @ $210
i5 2500K @ $230
i7 2600K @ $330

I would go with the i5 2500K, as it offers TONS of performance, yet is at a reasonable price point. It is WAY (WAY) faster than ANY AMD CPU out there. Period.

Memory:
8GB GOOD QUALITY DDR3 from Kingston (not value line), Corsair, Patriot, Crucial, Mushkin, etc. Expect to pay around $100-150 for 8GB...don't get the cheapest stuff, and don't buy the most expensive either. You will want DUAL CHANNEL kit.

Power Supply:
I would recommend a Corsiar power supply, with at least 500W...600+ would be better. Expect to pay around $60-120

Video Card:
Depends on how much you want to spend, but the Nvidia GTX460 @ $180-200 is a FANTASTIC card, with excellent performance in the latest games at 1920x1080 and higher resolutions. If you want to spend more, the 560ti (recently released) is a bit better.

Case: Antec 902 or the HAF line of cases are great.

Hope this helps!

Edit: And go for Windows 7 X64 Home Premium...you HAVE to have an x64 (64 bit) OS to even USE more than 4GB or RAM. Non-negotiable.

Wow thank for all the info it really helps a lot. Yeah my friend who recently made his computer recommended the "Sandy Bridge" LGA1155 CPU to me, and he is trying to convince me to step up and buy a GeForce GTX 480 for way more but i not sure if it makes that big of a difference and if i would need a better PSU. As for the CPU Im pretty sure i'm going to get the i7 2600K. The this is sort of random but my dad works with computers for a living and he gave me a pack of Kingston HyperX 12gb(3x4)RAM he had lying around at his office. So i have the RAM covered but i don't know if 12gb is really needed and if i would need to change anything else for the build to allow them to work properly.

I think the following link will help shed some light on this topic: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=475712 (I just came across this yesterday; I realize their suggestions don't fit your budget but it is something to consider future wise).

* Make sure you click on the link provided in the last post of the linked thread.

Oh wow thats an expensive setup but a good one i might have to consider in the future since that sounds like what ill be doing in my future. Thanks man.

I just realized the second link had some great posts for free 3d software. thanks once again.

So here is what im thinking im going to buy at the moment:

Tower
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600

PSU
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

GPU
EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD

Memory
Kingston HyperX 12GB Kit (3x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory

Im not 100% sure those will all be compatible with each other, and if i should drop a $100 of the motherboard for the cheaper version.

Kingston makes excellent memory but I suggest you shop around to see if you can get the best deal. Corsair and G.Skill are also excellent choices. Gigabyte (like Asus) will have a recommended memory list for that board on their website. Keep in mind these lists are not exhaustive.

Corsair power supplies are some of the best.

I have question on the Case im looking at (Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower). Will my motherboard work with this or do i need an atx mobo.

Pretty sure the Kingston HyperX 12GB memory (3x4GB) that you've selected is triple channel but you'll need dual channel DDR3 for this setup. The following 8GB Corsair kit would do:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866

The GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 motherboard is ATX form factor so you should fine with the Antec case.

Wow thats alot cheaper then my current set up. Is there a huge diffrence in proformance between the i5 2500k and the 17 2600k processors

Wow thats alot cheaper then my current set up. Is there a huge diffrence in proformance between the i5 2500k and the 17 2600k processors

The main differences between the two processors are:

HyperThreading and locked multiplier on the 2600.
No Hyper-Threading but an unlocked multiplier on the 2500K.

Unless you need the Hyper-Threading (provides support for two threads per core) I would agree with HK that the 2500K is the better choice. It's a good overclocker even with the stock air cooler.

i am a proud owner of the 2500k and i have it overclocked to 4.6GHz and i have a gtx 470 which is also overclocked really nice. i like hellokitty build the best and i think you will like it to its a very nice setup.

Yeah i just ordered Hellokitty's build and and cannot wait to get the parts so i can start doing some work.

Oh man, I would have gotten an SSD! An SSD will help speed up your system A LOT. Or possibly this thing:
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD4500BLHX 450GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s
Notice the RPMs and the SATA speed compaired to your HDD.

Not sure if I would have picked that HDD. I think it's always good to keep your main OS on a slightly smaller drive with all your projects stored on another, possible two 1TB drives in RAID1 setup. Your motherboard supports RAID. If you dont know about it, you can always make a new post and we'll help you.

Only other thing that I can think of is that your motherboard didnt look like it supports crossfire, or SLI for that matter. The difference is between ATI (crossfire), and Nvidia (sli). If you dont understand these terms, do a quick google search and come back asking questions.

I personally like this option for future growth. You have an AWESOME BUILD you can also double your video performance if you have the option to buy another Radeon HD 6970. It is expensive, but later on down the road, you could always do go that route without swapping boarding and reinstalling OS (assuming you are running Windows)

Edit: I am uncertain if adding a video card for crossfire mode truely doubles performance. It greatly increases, but I dont actually know if it's a "double" per say.

There is NO way I would bother wasting money on a velociraptor at this point in time.
Aside from that, the Samsung spinpoint F3 series is very quick and cleanly beats out the velociraptor in seq read/write, and load times.
Oh yeah, and the velociraptor is nearly triple the price and completely outclassed by SSDs in that price range.
You say notice the RPMs...I say notice the data density.

Best case CF scaling is maybe ≈190%.

There is NO way I would bother wasting money on a velociraptor at this point in time.
Aside from that, the Samsung spinpoint F3 series is very quick and cleanly beats out the velociraptor in seq read/write, and load times.
Oh yeah, and the velociraptor is nearly triple the price and completely outclassed by SSDs in that price range.
You say notice the RPMs...I say notice the data density.

Best case CF scaling is maybe ≈190%.

You're right about the SSDs over the velociraptor, but can I ask how does this drive out perform the velociraptor? Where did you find this information?

I may not be the most knowledgeable, but here I am noticing these two factors (RPMs and SATA version)... and are these not the key factors is HDD speed?

It might be easier answering, what is the key factor in HDD speed?

OH, and CF scaling?

Back