Building a new machine - Compatibility

deanlaing12

Before I carry on I need to know one thing. Does the Cosmos 2 support ATX motherboards?
The reason I ask is because there is conflicting information provided by the cooler-master website and reviews online.
The website: http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=6781
The Review:
(pause the video when he shows the specs on the side of the box)

Will all of this hardware work together nicely?

Motherboard: Sabertooth 990FX/Gen 3 R2.0 £150 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabertooth-...75&sr=1-1&keywords=SABERTOOTH+990FX/GEN3+R2.0

PC Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 £100 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Mast...keywords=coolermaster+cosmos+2#productDetails

CPU: AMD FX 8350 £150 http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX8350-...F8&qid=1376396189&sr=1-1&keywords=amd+fx+8350

GPU: Sapphire HD 7970 £320 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11...&qid=1376400926&sr=1-4&keywords=Sapphire+7970

PSU: Corsair HX850 80+Gold £120 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-HX8...&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+HX850#productDetails

(Feel free to suggest ram but I have 8 gigs of 1600 ddr3 that only costed me £44. And it is Crucial, I might buy new stuff but I don't know yet.)

(I plan to buy lots of water cooling and radiators eventually once I got the basics set up)

Yes it does. It supports MicroATX through SSI EEB.

Good build. I recommend you wait till September 25th for the GPUs since AMD is set to unveil something new. Or if you want, just get the 7970 and wait for the new GPUs to release. Just remember, dont waste your money on watercooling if you have just 1 GPU.

Yes it does. It supports MicroATX through SSI EEB.

Good build. I recommend you wait till September 25th for the GPUs since AMD is set to unveil something new. Or if you want, just get the 7970 and wait for the new GPUs to release. Just remember, don't waste your money on water-cooling if you have just 1 GPU.

I totally agree with gpu side of things! Might even get the 7990 "IF" it drops price again. (Doubt it though)

For the water-cooling, I was thinking: If I want the best out of my ram, I will need to overclock the cpu.
For that, a Corsair H80i to go at the cpu/back exhaust fan. I will require more research though, I am not sure just how good the all in one stuff is yet.

I should not have any problems using any 1600 ddr3 ram right? On my last motherboard, I had to do extensive research for the voltage due to the motherboard. What do you think?

Does the Saber-tooth 990fx r.20 have on-board ubs 3.0 connection? (I mean on the motherboard, for case usb 3.0 to connect to, I forget what you call it.) I could not find it on the descriptions and could not see it on the pictures.

Yea, everything you listed should work fine for you. I would suggest like JC713 said, waiting for the next generation or like you said grabbing a 7990 at this point due to it only being a month away. As for the ram, the FX-8350 has native support for DDR3 1866, however I have that on my machine and I have compared it to my 1600 ram and noticed not a huge difference in overall performance, so 1600 is fine (As for compatibility, its fine).

THe Sabertooth R.2 board has USB 3.0 yes (It has 4).

If you go watercooling, I would ignore the GPU's unless your going into 3 or 4 card setups honestly (Just for the GPU side). However on the CPU, I would suggest since your getting that case, go for like an H100i or something to push your CPU to its limits (I had an ANtec Kuhler 920 with push pull and it got loud real fast at 4.5ghz on the 8350).

Yea, everything you listed should work fine for you. I would suggest like JC713 said, waiting for the next generation or like you said grabbing a 7990 at this point due to it only being a month away. As for the ram, the FX-8350 has native support for DDR3 1866, however I have that on my machine and I have compared it to my 1600 ram and noticed not a huge difference in overall performance, so 1600 is fine (As for compatibility, its fine).

THe Sabertooth R.2 board has USB 3.0 yes (It has 4).

If you go watercooling, I would ignore the GPU's unless your going into 3 or 4 card setups honestly (Just for the GPU side). However on the CPU, I would suggest since your getting that case, go for like an H100i or something to push your CPU to its limits (I had an ANtec Kuhler 920 with push pull and it got loud real fast at 4.5ghz on the 8350).

Alrighty, so grab all the ram I can get basically that is 1600 or more.

I do not mean the 4 usb 3 on the back panel. I mean usb 3.0 on the board as a header. (that is the right term? Header?) in order to take advantage of the usb 3.0 on the front panel of the case. They are something like 20 pins, in a blue case on the board. But I can't see it in the pictures and I see no evidence in the specs of the board. (let me know if you do not understand what I mean.) I mean, there is always a chance to get a converter to use the native usb 3.0 on the back panel, but why would I pay a lot of money just to have cables sticking out the back end to look crap? See what I am saying here? :p Hope you know what I mean. Ahh... motherboards have usb 2.0 headers that look like com headers, it is those connections I mean, but for usb 3.0.

I was thinking about the hs100i as-well, but I am not sure the vents at the top are spaced correctly. I will need to find out somehow. Any ideas where I should start?

I totally agree with gpu side of things! Might even get the 7990 "IF" it drops price again. (Doubt it though)

For the water-cooling, I was thinking: If I want the best out of my ram, I will need to overclock the cpu.
For that, a Corsair H80i to go at the cpu/back exhaust fan. I will require more research though, I am not sure just how good the all in one stuff is yet.

I should not have any problems using any 1600 ddr3 ram right? On my last motherboard, I had to do extensive research for the voltage due to the motherboard. What do you think?

Does the Saber-tooth 990fx r.20 have on-board ubs 3.0 connection? (I mean on the motherboard, for case usb 3.0 to connect to, I forget what you call it.) I could not find it on the descriptions and could not see it on the pictures.

1600MHz RAM is fine. You just need adjust the speed in the BIOS once you set everything up. If you can, get the H100i. It will perform better than the H80i and will allow for better OCing.

Back