Burying cat 5e in pvc from house to garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, i am a newbie here and by no means am i a computer genius. With that said, i am fairly technical and good with wiring. I intend to take the cheap route here and bury 150 ft of cat 5e in pvc to my garage which is detached from the house. I have one very large problem before i start work. My 150 ft ethernet patch cable will not send a signal to my laptop from my wireless router (linksys WRTP54G-VR) I have tried the cable directly from the modem without issue. The router ports are all working as i have a 6 ft patch from the router to the pc and all 4 ports test out as good. Can someone please advise me on why this may be happening and what can i do to resolve the issue. The router is less than a year old and the wireless portion of it works fine for both the vonage and the house laptop. I mean a signal is a signal. Cat 5e should go 300+ feet from what i read. Please help guys. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

My 150 ft ethernet patch cable will not send a signal to my laptop from my wireless router

that's got me a bit confused... so you can connect wireless but not hard wired? in that case you probably need to configure either the laptop ethernet adapter or the router itself. so, i'm guessing your plan is to bury the line after you get the laptop connected using the cat5 cable, correct?

Yeah, exactly. The wireless functions work they just don't reach the garage. The laptop works with a 6 ft patch and the 150ft patch works direct from the modem, but not from the wireless router to the laptop, so i think the ethernet port is already configured. Any guesses as to what it might be?? Thanks

Check the continuity of your 150' cable with an ohmmeter. You should get continuity from pin to pin, no crossovers.
Hold the two plugs next to each other, facing you and check pin to pin. You should only get continuity between same pins on each connector.

Some patch cables are made as "crossovers". These are intended for connecting two PC's without a router.

If the cable is a crossover, it may work when connected directly to the modem, because the modem may auto-sense the connections, and switch when it determines that the cable is a crossover. The router ports will not do this, and that is why it will not work there.

Another idea would be to install another wireless router outside. Maybe then the signal would reach the garage.
That said, I have two wireless routers in the house, and I still went hard wired because I could not get consistent connection and speed with the wireless, so I don't blame you for wanting to install a hard wire link.

FW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back