Busted VGA port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonWolf

Hi guys,

I'm using a 2.75 year old laptop. I have recently, for about 4 months now, hooked it up to a 22" Samsung monitor. Today, while watching a youtube video, the entire Samsung monitor had a green tint to it, as though you were wearing green shades and looking at the screen. Initially, I thought it was my monitor, but future inspection indicated that it was actually my laptop (I used a different laptop while maintaining the same VGA cable and the colors were fine). Moreover, the screen on my laptop is fine and has no green tint to it.

This has led me to believe that my VGA Port has gone bad or something and I cannot understand how this has happened. I'm wondering if this is a software issues, or an actual physical issue in which a transistor or capacitor has just blown up or something inside?

I've tried reconnecting it at 4 hour intervals or so but it still has a green tint on the external monitor. Anyone have any ideas, or am I just, "bleh"?

I've considered getting those USB to DVI adapters, but I don't know how "fast" those adapters are, and at 70 USD or so, I find them to be rather expensive.

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions/tips are welcome. I would be REALLY grateful if this problem is fixable.

Cheers.

Physical issue, likely due to bad contact on the motherboard.

redk,

Thank you for your response. The thing is, my monitor has been fine for 4 months, and this issue has never happened before. At the moment of it turning green, the laptop was completely stationary, and nothing was moving.

So having said this, is this fixable? Or has something permanently gone bad on the port?

Cheers.

Can you get some sort of S-Video --> VGA / DVI adapter?

My laptops older than that and has been used extensively with extended desktop to various tvs...

And if you're in NZ I have a friend who can do it for $55 plus costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back