Buy-back programs offer upwards of $300 for used iPad 2s

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

To upgrade or not to upgrade? Such is the question plaguing many iPad 2 owners as we approach the launch of Apple's latest tablet. Many online retailers hope to ease the transition by offering cash and store credit for your used device. Assuming your iPad 2 is in decent condition, you could be eligible for upwards of $300.

Apple's own Reuse and Recycle program offers gift cards for your crusty Apple gear, including the last-gen iPad. The company is willing to shell out up to $320 for "perfect condition" iPad 2 64GB 3Gs with no scuffs or other wear and tear. You can expect less credit for lower-specced units or those in worse shape.

Even in the worst case scenario, the company will dole out ~$50 for an entry-level iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi that doesn't start and has no accessories, a busted battery, engraving, as well as scratches, scuffs, cracks and water damage. That includes free packaging for the device and shipping to the company. Hard to argue with that.

If you'd rather have Amazon credit, the mega-etailer offers as much as $300 for a 16GB Wi-Fi unit and $460 for a 64GB 3G version -- possibly the best trade-in prices we've seen, but again, busted devices will fetch less. Some speculate that by providing such a high exchange value, Amazon hopes to score Kindle Fire sales.

Many other outlets including Best Buy, eBay, GameStop, RadioShack, NextWorth and Gazelle have a similar service with varying promos (eBay offers cold hard cash if that's what you're after). Interestingly, some stores seem to tag Verizon models with a lower value (about $50 less on average in the case of GameStop).

Permalink to story.

That does seem very generous of them. I think they'll win some customers over with a move like this seeing as how Apple just sticks it to you if you happen to buy something just before they announce their new version.

I am NOT an apple hater so this comment is strictly just what it is - a comment. Its not generous of them or nice of them. Its pure business. Its not even them that are actually buying it. A third party pays the retailer/apple for them and resells them. The PERFECT shape ones apple does hold on to and refurbishes them as needed and resells.

So a 64gb 3g ipad2 in mint condition that cost well over $700 a months ago, they are willing to give us $320? How generous of them. So they can turn around and sell it "refurbished" for $600.

Actually, it's not that simple.

What Apple is doing is preventing you from selling the devices to your friends so your friends will purchase the devices straight from the company.

It's an innovated business move. Interesting.

Actually, it's not that simple.

What Apple is doing is preventing you from selling the devices to your friends so your friends will purchase the devices straight from the company.

It's an innovated business move. Interesting.
Listen, everybody is somebody's friend. (*) So, I'm not quite sure I'm on board with your interpretation of this business model. While true, the guy sitting next to you in class may not run across your exact tablet, there will still be "X" quantities of the earlier model returned to the market.

What this does is set up a sales model more similar to a new car dealer, where the profit margin is averaged across the new/used sections of the inventory.

(*) Except me, of course....:rolleyes:

Back