Buyer beware: RAM inside new Mac mini isn't user replaceable

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ram mac hard apple hard drive memory mac mini upgradeable

Apple’s recent iPad media gathering also saw the Cupertino-based company unveil a revised Mac mini, the first in roughly two years. The machine now packs a pretty solid punch with its Intel Haswell processor and improved graphics but there’s something to be aware of if you’re planning on making a purchase soon: the RAM is soldered in place.

Previous versions of the Mac mini featured user-replaceable memory but that’s no longer the case. It’s unclear why Apple made the change but all we know is that you’ll need to equip your new mini with as much RAM as you think you’ll ever need when ordering.

The entry-level Mac mini starts at $499 and includes just 4GB of RAM. The next base model doubles the amount of memory to 8GB and includes a faster Core i5 processor for $699. Even the top-end $999 model only features 8GB of RAM although all configurations are upgradable to 16GB if you’re willing to pay extra.

ram mac hard apple hard drive memory mac mini upgradeable

Upgrading from 4GB to 8GB will set you back an extra $100 while doubling your RAM from 8GB to 16GB will cost an additional $200. Taking the jump from 4GB to 16GB of memory will tack on $300 to the total cost of the machine.

It’s also worth pointing out that it is possible to replace the hard drive on your own although doing so will likely void your warranty with Apple.

Permalink to story.

Those configuration are quite sufficient for the purpose of Mac Mini. It would only be short for things like video editing, for which the machine isn't suitable anyway.

Anyone looking for a performance Mac would get an iMac or Macbook Pro. The former supports 32GB of RAM and the latter - 16GB.

Dell and other vendors have been getting RAM soldered to the motherboard in ultrabooks for some time, I found out the hard way with my XPS 12. Forever stuck with 4GB of RAM... but considering how much money I saved it's a price I'll learn to live with. XD

As for the Mac Mini, I agree with VitalyT's sentiments, though user upgradability is still always a welcome/preferred option, if not only because of how vendors gouge us with RAM/HDD/SDD prices...

Thank God Apple finally soldered the RAM to the motherboard! I was beginning to think they were losing their grip. No loyal fanboy should be allowed to get away with anything so heinous as upgrading their RAM without paying the obligatory 5-or-6 hundred dollar surcharge. Way to go, Apple!

It's about manufacturer profit margins. You want more then you will pay a lot more, and now you can only get it from one source. Pay your Apple Tax and carry on you minions!

For $600-700 I can build a Windows PC that smokes anything Apple makes.
In that same size? Will it run OS X? Those are absolutely the 2 most critical selling points for people that would buy a Mini. And you won't 'smoke' a Mac Pro for that kind of money.

You better be a midget to build a good computer that size. I have worked on an ITC mini tower and it was a pain.

Back