Buying a new receiver

Squid Surprise

Hey all,

I currently own a Pioneer VSX-1325 (same as Elite 32) and some of the HDMI inputs are dying... Still have a couple working (flipped my cable box to component, which is fine as nothing is broadcast higher than 1080i... YET) but I can see the writing on the wall...

I'll probably be going 4k soon anyways, so I probably was going to need a new receiver at that time.

I've done some research, and am looking at Marantz, Denon and Onkyo (I'm partial to Onkyo as they bought Pioneer and I REALLY like Pioneer).

The Onkyo TX-RZ800 is what I'm thinking of - I like the idea of having Dolby Atmos (I currently have 7 nice speakers and a kickass subwoofer) but am not married to it. The Marantz SR-7009 also looks quite nice (not sure I need 9 channels though) as does the Denon X4200...

Are there any audiophiles out there who can recommend one (or maybe something not on my list)? I'm looking at approx $1000-$1300 CAD, but as I might not be purchasing right away, that is not as large a consideration as I can wait for sales/refurbish...

Back