Buying Inspiron 9400 with "bios lock"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys been reading forums for ages just never signed up. Im planning on buying a INSPIRON 9400 off the internet cheap that supposedly has a "bios lock" that they cant get around. Now i know this has been covered many times with the Del laptops, im just seeking if anyone has any knowledge about this particular model and if its as as simple as using the jumpers on one of the chips to reset the password.

I just really dont wanna spend the money on this laptop to find that its a permanent paper weight.

Thanks, Jason.

You will have maor difficulties repairing that Inspiron 9400. The password processing is hidden in an eeprom chip that requires substantial technical skill to edit. Hardly anybody can do it.
You would have to buy a new motherboard. You might check on eBay, but Dell no longer has any available for sale. You can send the computer to them for board replacement, but the cost is well over $300.

That ease in easy comes from experience and technical skill.

I have programmed plenty, and passed my certifications, but how many have the average poster performed ? It all comes together to the same problem. Finding the eeprom, removing the eeprom, programming the eeprom or replacing it.

Picking at straws does not help the average user.

And an experimenter can further damage the machine. Dell will not work on a machine that has has suffered through eeprom "editing," and Dell is his best chance at getting it repaired.

I do not know anyone in the US who can do it, although there is one many in Ontario, Canada who will for a substantial price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back