Buzzing sound from front audio outlet

hellokitty[hk]

I hear a buzzing sound from my audio speakers, and this post actually explains it nearly perfectly.
Hey guys. So I finally got finished with my Cosmos Mod (which I hope to have up and posted on the forums soon ) but I'm having some trouble with buzzing and crackling with the headphones plugged into the front jack.

My Cosmos case comes equipped with the HD Azalia front audio connector in addition to the AC '97 audio connector. When completing my wire management and sleeving, I decided to remove the AC '97 connector since I only needed the HD Azalia connector, which is attached to my Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer sound card. So I simply cut the AC '97 connector off. I did not cap each of the exposed remaining wires as they were very small in diameter and I figured I would just sleeve over it and try it.

Problem: When I plug any of my three pairs of different headphones to the front panel I have buzzing and crackling whether games or programs are making sound or not. I especially have crackling when I move my Razer Death Adder around, which seems really weird. I've got the Death Adder plugged directly into my Logitech G15. By the way, I've also got my wireless Logitech mouse plugged in and when I move that one around, there is no ill effect on the sound. ??

When I've got the headphones plugged in directly to the sound card at the back of the computer, I've got perfect silence. No interference at all with each pair of headphones I plug in.
from http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=143685

The solutions on that forum say grounding, shielding, and basically things that I am clueless about.
Help :)?
Thanks...

A guitar jack going into an amp, if you touch the metal end you'll hear a buzz from the current through your body etc. is it similar to this sound?
Either way I think it sounds like a loose connection or perhaps even very slight arking somewhere?

By the fact that you hear it through multiple headphones and speakers it definetly points to your front audio panel being the problem though.

Yeah it works fine coming from the back. I've already gone into my case and rehooked the relevant wires a few times, nothing.

Quoted from the forum linked above:
Is it buzzing as in digital cross-talk (if it is you'll get it when you move the mouse, cause cpu load, do anything with the hdd, or utilise USB), or just white noise or AC hum (50/60 or 100/120hz)?
Definitely digital cross-talk...It also mentions that dell computer that have had this problem have been fixed with shielding dongles. Not that I know anything, which is why I post this thread.

Weird stuff:
Whenever I continually move my mouse over Chrome's new tab quicklinks thumbnails, the sound stops.
It seems that anywhere else, moving the mouse adds to the noise.

If it's only on the front panel, it's most likely interference on the cable going from the front audio panel to the motherboard header. The only thing you can really do about this is to attempt to reroute the cable if within the case it's close to anything that could cause interference (hard drives, PSU).

Back