C:\windows\systems32\shdock.dll error

Status
Not open for further replies.

judicious

Hello..

I don't know when this happened, but it's been happening for couple of months. So when I navigate to certain websites, I get this error message. I would have to click YES a bunch of times or click X a bunch of times to make it disappear. It's quite annoying and I have no idea how to get rid of it. I tried to use Ad-Aware and it's not disappearing. I even tried to add the sites to my pop-up settings and it did not work.

I attached a pix...

It pretty much says: "The current Web Page is trying to open this file on your computer. Do you want to allow this?"

Current site: www.newegg.com
File: C:\windows\systems32\shdock.dll error

Yes/ No

Thanks..

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 9
Are you using a router? Check with the manufacturer to see if there is any info on this and any updates for your (DSL) modem (including drivers.)

check the pic is says shdoclc.dll not shdock.dll also would run some other anti-spyware scans as on other sites seems to be spyware do a couple different scans one site references doubleclick and PestTrap and possible ones

You are correct- I missed that! A lesson in the important of correct spelling when citing an error message!

The corrected process is:
shdoclc.dll is a library used by Windows applications to add basic file and networking operations.

Have a look here and see if this applies:
http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/shdoclc.htm

What version of windows and what version of Internet explorer?

I would first download firefox for normal browsing http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Should be an easy fix using Hijackthis. Check the R0/R1 lines and 08 lines

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete please attach your log onto the forums using the paper clip icon above your reply.

I'm using Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. and IE 6.0. Sorry about the misspelling.

I attach the log.

This is a laptop HP nc6400 so I'm using wireless connection to connect to the net.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    16.4 KB · Views: 6
Okay, I don't do the review for malware. But I did look at your log. I don't know that I've even seen so many installed and/or running processes on one system! You have got to be maxed on extra security and mobile devices, sound & audio, games, bluetooth & wireless, at least 2 messenger programs.

I don't know how much RAM you have but if it's not a gazillion MB, you can't be moving very fast! Do you really use all this "stuff" Do you need it Starting up and running in the background?

I don't see anything obvious in the log that would cause this. you have way too many programs running as bobbye said

are you using an account with administrative privileges?

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "sfc /scannow" and press enter. (without the quotes)

Also you could try restoring your system to a time before the problem started.

1. Click Start, Programs, and then Accessories
2. Click System Tools and open System Restore
3. In the System Restore window, select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next and follow the steps to restore your computer to an earlier date.

work laptop

this is my work laptop..so i guess a lot of things are installed..i have the spects for my laptop below:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1016 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz
CPU Speed: 1662.6 MHz
Sound card: SoundMAX HD Audio
Display Adapters: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family | Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 800 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: F: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4247N
COM Ports: COM10 | COM3 | COM13
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 18.4GB | D: 36.8GB | E: 701.4MB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 1.7GB | D: 29.5GB | E: 233.3MB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Make: HP Compaq nc6400 (RY015UP#ABA)
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 05/07/07 | HP - 17040720
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: High
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 30AD
Modem: Agere Systems HDA Modem
Sony Ericsson W960 USB Modem

:
:

If this is your work laptop, don't you have an IT person in charge of handling the computer problems?

yes....but i'm currently not anywhere near the tech support. I actually figured out how to fix my problem. I used a bunch of spyware programs and deleted some registries... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back