California court okays reading maps on phones while driving

Himanshu Arora

Staff

In a significant ruling, the California appeals court on Thursday declared (PDF) that it is perfectly legal for drivers to read digital maps on phones, even though state law restricts the use of phones while driving.

The ruling by the 5th District Court of Appeal stems from a legal challenge by a Fresno man named Steven Spriggs, who was issued a $165 ticket for using the map on an iPhone. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) officer spotted Spriggs looking at his cell phone while he was stuck in traffic at an area obstructed by roadwork, and issued the ticket.

According to the CHP, Spriggs violated California Vehicle Code section 23123, subdivision (a), which restricts drivers from “using a wireless telephone unless that telephone is specifically designed and configured to allow hands-free listening and talking, and is used in that manner while driving”. Spriggs, on the other hand, argued there was no violation as he was looking at the map to find an alternate route, not talking on the phone.

The court concluded that the law doesn't cover looking at a cell phone while driving, and reversed Spriggs' conviction. "We conclude the statute means what it says -- it prohibits a driver only from holding a wireless telephone while conversing on it", the court said.

Spriggs agreed that distracted driving is dangerous, and said that he uses a hands-free device to talk and drive. He added that his own son sustained a broken leg from a driver who was chatting on a cell phone.

While the move will be welcomed by drivers who depend on digital maps to get to their destination, it is most likely that either the state or someone else will appeal the new ruling, which would result in the California Supreme Court taking up the case.

Permalink to story.

Some cops should use common sense,he was stuck in traffic looking at his maps,if he was doing 50mph in a built up area then he should be given a ticket.

Some cops should use common sense,he was stuck in traffic looking at his maps,if he was doing 50mph in a built up area then he should be given a ticket.

Common Sense? XD

But agreed totally, this is just stupid, if he was in traffic then surely he's technically stationary?

If I was the cop I wouldn't have fined him for using a digital map but rather for using an Apple phone. The last time I read about iSheep using Apple phones for directions they were being directed onto busy airport runways and they were happily following directions. Typical of Apple fans.

In Oz you aren't allowed to hold the phone. It must be in a mount. Makes more sense than what app is running.

And really if you are holding a paper map and driving that is pretty irresponsible...

Common Sense? XD

But agreed totally, this is just stupid, if he was in traffic then surely he's technically stationary?

Since when when does the spirit of the law trump its wording?

Um, what exactly do you mean by that.....?:p

Law is purposed with maintaing order and security. Traffic laws, for example, are intended to keep traffic flowing efficiently and prevent accidents. The spirit of traffic law, then, is to keep things functional and safe.

Now, try explaining that to the compliance officer with the radar gun who's just clocked you doing 95 on an empty expressway at 3AM.

Law is purposed with maintaing order and security. Traffic laws, for example, are intended to keep traffic flowing efficiently and prevent accidents. The spirit of traffic law, then, is to keep things functional and safe.

Now, try explaining that to the compliance officer with the radar gun who's just clocked you doing 95 on an empty expressway at 3AM.
Point taken. But, I was just busting your b***s.

It is absurd though, to permit one type of cell phone activity and not another.

Or rather, it's absurd to permit any type of cell phone activity whatsoever.

Here you have two viable choices:
1. keep up with traffic, and hope for the best with respect to destination.

2. Pull over at the earliest possible opportunity, and then use your phone or GPS device, in an attempt to get your bearings.

And a third, not really viable or prudent choice. Read the map while you're moving, and perhaps cut across two or three lanes of high speed traffic, when the phone tells you you're about to miss your exit, and it's on the other side of the highway.

I'm retired, therefore I have no need to travel during the rush hours. But, people do get killed day in, and day out, doing stupid s***, similar to what I just described. I'm very grateful I can sit in front of my TV, and watch the carnage from home.;)

From what I've seen the past couple of decades, I haven't a clue, what power of sorcery or bribe, has even allowed many of my fellow Kamikazes to even obtain a driver's license....:confused:

Last edited:
Agreed.

From what I've seen the past couple of decades, I haven't a clue, what power of sorcery or bribe, has even allowed many of my fellow Kamikazes to even obtain a driver's license....:confused:

I once saw a girl get licensed who hardly managed to navigate the testing vehicle around the DMV's "obstacle course", forcing me to conclude that it's just another tax scheme. After all, he who has a license probably has a car, meaning he also pays for tags, gas taxes, and traffic tickets.

Don't forget Insurance, they want you on the road no matter how well you can drive.
One terribly tragic,"side effect", of mandatory car insurance, is rendering a pedestrian's life, not worth a plug nickel.

Just hit somebody? Better hightail it! The chances of you being charged with vehicular homicide, are exponentially greater, when it comes to light, your drivers license is suspended, you're DUI, and you've got no insurance. Plus, even if you're doing everything right, your insurance rates will skyrocket!

And while I'm certainly not saying that lack of mandatory insurance is the sole issue, I do believe it's a strong contributing factor to all the reported pedestrian fatalities, which seem to be escalating of late.

Good news, now if anyone gets pulled over for looking at their phone, they can just open the map app before the cop gets to their window.

We need to invite an app that disguises text messages into an app. Maybe new messages can be cleverly disguised as street names etc :D

Back