California votes against 'kill switch' legislation for smartphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

california smartphone kill switch

In what can only be seen as a victory for wireless carriers, law makers in California on Thursday shot down a bill that would have required smartphone manufacturers to include a kill switch on new devices sold in the state.

Senate Bill 962 needed at least 21 votes in favor to move to the next phase, the state assembly. Senator Mark Leno, a Democrat that represents San Francisco, was the bill’s sponsor and even after modifying the legislation to exclude tablets and pushing the start date back to July 1, 2015, it ultimately came up short.

Following nearly 40 minutes of debate, it could only muster support from 19 voters. Several fellow Democrats – 17 people in total – voted against the bill. So, what went wrong?

Despite a desire to curb crime, many were worried about how the law would be enforced. Steve Knight, a Republican from Palmdale, said he didn’t want street robberies to happen and he didn’t want phones to be stolen but he also didn’t believe the bill would address the enforcement issue.

Others, like Democrat Norma Torres, questioned whether or not the feature could be used for the wrong reasons. For example, would a spouse involved in a domestic dispute or a divorce be allowed to kill the phone of their mate out of spite?

A proponent of the law, San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon felt those that voted against the bill did so to protect billion dollar industry profits over the safety of the constituents they were elected to serve.

Permalink to story.

California voted to NOT expand government power?!? I guess I should check the sky for some pigs.

"In what can only be seen as a victory for wireless carriers"
How about a victory for freedom.
The freedom to buy a phone without a kill switch.
The freedom to have my phone/personal assistant/navigation/notebook/camera/voice recorder that can't be remotely killed by a company, government or hackers.

Now let's see. Which company in California would benefit greatly from this...? I wonder...

for those that don't know... apple made a kill switch built into all ios7+ devices... any device with ios7+ stolen with someone icloud info in it becomes a brick.. and there is no way around it... The device serial number is tied to the apple ID on apple servers. upon activation after a device wipe, or even a whole IOS version replacement, it will simply ask for the apple id. Don't have the ID? too bad... bricked device... UNLESS you can prove with original purchase receipt.

People seem to have forgotten how easily Matt Honan's (Wired journalist) iPhone got hijacked and remotely wiped out, losing all his data and worst of all, have access to all his contacts' phone, email, etc. There is no 100% security. (See http://www.wired.com/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/ )

So I think the lawmakers made the right choice. Features like this should be left up to individual phone manufacturers and carriers. If there is enough demands (consumers vote with wallets), they would provide the feature.

I'd never buy a device with a "kill switch" for several reasons.
#1, I would not have 100% absolute control over the "kill" part of the switch!
If it can be killed by the carrier, a hacker, the NSA or other alphabet labeled
group from the government, I wouldn't want it. I know what will happen though.
Some group, state, phone device manufacturer will allow this, and in a few months,
it will be said that this is a win for the consumer, look how safe you are bla bla bla.
Then, after a few more devices get it, then it will become mandatory. Now, you have
control of the device, given to the carriers/government. You think if there is ever a
public uprising, they won't flip the switch? Those who give up freedom, in the name of
security, deserve NEITHER!

Back