Call of Duty: Black Ops breaks records, $650 million in five days

Emil

Staff

Activision Blizzard has announced it has set a new sales record with Call of Duty: Black Ops. The game has broken theatrical box office, book, and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars. It has made more than $650 million, according to internal Activision estimates.

This beats the numbers for the previous version of the game, Modern Warfare 2, which generated $550 million in sales during the first five days available. On its first day, Black Ops sold about 5.6 million copies for $360 million, while Modern Warfare 2 sold 4.7 million units for $310 million on its first day.

Black Ops has also set two new Xbox LIVE records on launch day, according to Microsoft: more than 5.9 million multiplayer hours were logged playing the game by more than 2.6 million unique gamers. On the PlayStation 3, it has become the best-selling video game launch of all time on Amazon.com and at GameStop.

Black Ops is the seventh installment of the popular Call of Duty military-themed shooter franchise. Just two weeks ago, Activision Blizzard said that it did not expect Black Ops to outperform Modern Warfare 2 even though a month ago it said preorders for the former were selling faster than those for the latter did.

"Call of Duty has become the first entertainment property in history to set five-day launch records for two consecutive years across all forms of entertainment," Robert Kotick, Activision Blizzard's CEO, said in a statement. "The title's success illustrates the mass appeal of interactive entertainment as millions of consumers are choosing to play Call of Duty: Black Ops at unprecedented levels rather than engage in other forms of media. The number of people playing online and the number of hours they are playing demonstrates how online gaming has become a mainstream form of entertainment and certainly validates Activision Blizzard's leadership role in online entertainment."

Permalink to story.

its just better than any other military-themed shooter franchise. .....Period..... numbers dont lie

Yeah, the PC version is really botched. I'm not gonna touch my copy with a 10 foot stick until they release the patch. I really hope Treyarch realizes they put everyone who purchased the PC version through hell, and they give us some kind of compensation

ColdFusion1990 said:
I really hope Treyarch realizes they put everyone who purchased the PC version through hell, and they give us some kind of compensation

They have no incentive. Everyone will just buy the next game at release as well.

Thats odd, this game has been available to pirate on torrent sites for 3 weeks now.
I suspect that we'll see Activision Blizzard going bankrupt any day now.

The game is pathetic, no wonder why they didn't show alot og gameplay in their trailers.

Not only that, but NOWHERE on the box does it tell u that you need to install STEAM, if you buy the PC Boxed version.

To my surprise, during install. it didn't give me a path to save to, & didn't even use the game DVD and instead downloaded the game from Steam. So what is the point of selling a DVD PC boxed version... I did that because I didn't want STEAM on my computer...

Activision should have a lawsuite against them for such crap.

flocka said:
its just better than any other military-themed shooter franchise. .....Period..... numbers dont lie

It's the most popular by far as seen by these numbers, better however is subjective to say the least. Many would argue the Battlefield franchise to be superior in gameplay which I find to be true. I'm also hopeful that once BF3 comes out it'll deliver and show off what a real military shooter should be like.

ColdFusion1990 said:
Yeah, the PC version is really botched.

I don't get how so many PC gamers bought this game day one and didn't expect something to go wrong. MW2 burned PC gamers hard, and even though it's a different developer it's still under Activision who made it clear they care more about consoles for this franchise.

l4d came out then l4d2 came out and everyone said they wont buy the game , but they bought it anyways , so we can see that people actually dont care about reviews or infogrpahs .... im 1 of those guys :) , bough l4d and then l4d2 , and i already buy black ops and all i have to say is that i like black ops even more than mw2 , so please keep crying guyss :p

flocka said:

Sales numbers don't determine if a game is good quality. *****..

Guest said:
The game is pathetic, no wonder why they didn't show alot og gameplay in their trailers.

Not only that, but NOWHERE on the box does it tell u that you need to install STEAM, if you buy the PC Boxed version.

To my surprise, during install. it didn't give me a path to save to, & didn't even use the game DVD and instead downloaded the game from Steam. So what is the point of selling a DVD PC boxed version... I did that because I didn't want STEAM on my computer...

Activision should have a lawsuite against them for such crap.

Every box here in Canada states it requires steam. Not Treyarch's fault your country ****s with the boxes of games.

Wow great record, and Activision rewards their staff/devstaff by laying 200 people off a month before christmas, nice.

Kel

This saddens me. There are games out there that are much better than this. Such as BC2.

The more successful this franchise becomes, the more mediocre the new releases will be. They will know people will buy just because it says COD.

The reason you have to install STEAM is that they are Using VAC as there ant-cheat protection system,Instead of punkbuster.Plus it doesnt look as good Frostbite graphic engine games.Looks a tad cartoonie and washed out color look.More like a MOD than a Game..Total conversion mod that they charge $60 for,Instead 20 or 30 bucks...Console port look and feel..18 players max.
Maps feel like you are a mouse in maze of buildings and hills.Run shoot game for sure.

Good for being MW2...coufg coufg! Black ops...

But after What MW2 did next 2 CoD franchise games will be as hyping as this, but I must say it the games is good and it has a frenetic walkthrough, that is the only thing I would like to BBC2 had. But I just grab them both :)

This is a signal to EA, they should invest more in marketing, because bad company 2 is way better.

BC2 has garbage game play rather stab myself with a fork than play that game. Nothing compares to the call of duty franchise even tight asses still play the old cod4's like its oxygen supply.

Back