Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered is reportedly single-player only

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A premature Amazon listing last week suggested Activision is working on a remastered version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. On Wednesday, multiple publications reported that the game is indeed in the works… but there’s one big catch.

charlieINTEL says it was sent materials from a Raven Software employee revealing that Modern Warfare 2 Remastered does not have a multiplayer mode; it is a single-player campaign mode remaster only. The site says it believes the information it received is accurate and last week’s listing seems to validate the claims.

If you recall, the Amazon Italy listing showed the game would be priced at 19.99 euros. That’s awfully cheap considering the standalone version of the first Modern Warfare game debuted at $39.99. Nearly cutting the price in half makes sense if Activision plans on leaving out multiplayer mode.

Eurogamer later said that its sources confirmed charlieINTEL’s report of the game being real but not having a multiplayer component.

If true, the omission is puzzling as the multiplayer components of Call of Duty games are almost certainly more popular than single-player mode. If nothing else, multiplayer offers way more replay value. Leaving it out just seems like a giant mistake that’ll severely limit sales.

Maybe a standalone multiplayer version is being planned for launch at a later date? That’s the only logical explanation I can come up with at the moment.

Permalink to story.

"If true, the omission is puzzling as the multiplayer components of Call of Duty games are almost certainly more popular than single-player mode. If nothing else, multiplayer offers way more replay value. Leaving it out just seems like a giant mistake that’ll severely limit sales."

Yeah but that's where the first two modern warfare and World at War stand apart, people kept playing because of the multi-players, many people enjoyed the games though just from the single player stories. I still play through the single player cod campaigns on the earlier cods once every 2 years.

You have tons of modern CoD games where you can get the online "CoD experience". I would buy the remastered for the campaign alone with now X-Input controller support; depending on the price, of course.

I believe this move was done because they want players to focus on BLOPS 4 multiplayer and not on MW 2 Remastered one. On the other hand, I can't wait to play the remastered campaign of MW 2 which was from my perspective the best one !

It's weird because CoD is for all intent and purposes a mp game first and foremost by design with a sp campaign tacked on arbitrarily. I'd wager less than 10% of players worldwide buy the games for the sp campaign and I know plenty of people who have been playing CoD for years and literally never played any of the sp campaigns.

If that is true and it will have controller support I'm all for it, I don't like any online campaign modes for cod anyway.
Bores the living daylights out of me and people really don't know what they're doing.

"Omitting multiplayer mode seems like a giant mistake"

Really? Most games I play are single player. I don't care to play with toxic people. This not having multiplayer wouldn't affect my decision in any way. Would it create more sales? Yes. Will it cause significantly more developer work and constant patches/updates? Yes, in spades.

It's weird because CoD is for all intent and purposes a mp game first and foremost by design with a sp campaign tacked on arbitrarily. I'd wager less than 10% of players worldwide buy the games for the sp campaign and I know plenty of people who have been playing CoD for years and literally never played any of the sp campaigns.
I knew CoD players that never touched the MP. To each their own.

It would seem your premise is in the minority per other people posting! MP playing for me did not last long due to the immature activities of some players, not just kids. Also while I engaged in the occasional game with co-workers back when they first came out, it wiuyld slowly decrease due to real live necessities! Eventually many friends just stopped playing online MP. So I have to believe your figures of only 10% to be wishy-washy.

I have every COD game ever made for the PC and continue to buy every new one for my collection. But I never play the multiplayer part of the game anymore. I use to play all the multiplayer part(s) of the games that came bundled with it. But then I stopped as there was just way to many cheaters using aim bots and so on which doesn't make the game enjoyable anymore.

So from my point of view I couldn't care less if any future releases of COD came with multiplayer anymore. In fact if I could just purchase the stand alone game without the multiplayer for a cheaper price I would be happy with that. As whats the point in paying for something I would never play simply because it has been ruined by people who feel the need to cheat?

I don't understand why people feel the need to cheat and or use aim bots, etc? I guess in their feeble minds they feel superior by cheating as opposed to the rest of us who have developed a skill for playing the game?

Well....I won't be buying a "single player" modern warfare, for sure! And I won't be buying anything at all that has "hosting". It better have designated servers for the multiplayer, or that's another no go, for me.

Then be a real man and just buy the original cod 2 modern warfare steam edition, use whatever hd mods is out there and be done with it ?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/10180/Call_of_Duty_Modern_Warfare_2/
If the remastered version has a really good single player mode and isn't boring into the first 25 minutes of the game.
I'm all for it multi-player matches anything is really becoming annoying when people don't know what they're doing or being a stupid **** the whole mission long.

Last edited:
Already own it. I think the original game is not worth playing. Too many hackers, too much glitching. The whole point of the remaster is getting rid of those problems.

Back