Can a spent CMOS battery interfere with a startup on an iMac?

rodion15

I have an iMac that doesn't start up, neither from any bootable usb device, bootable CD etc (you can see the startup manager icons and you when you click one you see the progress bar but it stops there.
The Apple troubleshooting procedure (GSX service guide) advices me to check that the motherboard battery isn't spent, the reason why I ignore. Can the CMOS memory hold some setting that may halt the startup???

Last edited:
Your answer is no. Cmos battery goes it just won't let the bios keep it settings Such as time. Other than that. The said computer should boot.

Your answer is no. Cmos battery goes it just won't let the bios keep it settings Such as time. Other than that. The said computer should boot.
OK, thanks for your answer, that's what I thought, that's why I found it odd this troubleshooter having me check the battery.
Sorry about the shouting (removed).

Reset the PRAM (command+option+P+R). Shut down the machine, hold those keys, turn it on (or get on them before display comes up), keep holding until reboots and you get the chime, then let go.

Reset SMC, shut down, unplug, hold power button down for 5-10 seconds (5, but do 10 just to be safe), plug back in boot up.

Back